hello;

I have not used Python before directly, but I am interested in trying it.
I've read some good things about it. ( I am mainly interested in trying it
for some scientific applications and simulation.)

I am running on windowz. I have downloaded and installed 2.5.1 Python.

my question is on installing additional packages.

What is the easiest way to do that? I read about python 'eggs' (like jar
files for Java), and easyInstall script, and such.

Is there some automated way to install Python packages? a manual/document I
could read that describes step by step how to do that? Browsing the
documentation, there does not seem to be something specific there (other
than saying download this tar file and install it).

I like how one can install additional packages in 'R' . In 'R' one can do
all that from the user interface for R by a pull-down menu, then one selects
a mirror site, then one can see all the packages available, then select the
package to download, and the rest is done automatically. (The package is
downloaded, installed, etc...)

Anything like that exists for Python? Btw, I have VM running on windowz,
and so I can run Python on Ubuntu linux on that VM, would be easier to
install additional Python packages there, may be using that nice GUI based
Ubuntu package manager to do that?

thanks,
Nasser

Search Discussions

  • Gabriel Genellina at Jan 22, 2008 at 5:34 am

    En Tue, 22 Jan 2008 00:36:34 -0200, Nasser Abbasi <nma at 12000.org> escribi?:

    I am running on windowz. I have downloaded and installed 2.5.1 Python.

    my question is on installing additional packages.

    What is the easiest way to do that? I read about python 'eggs' (like jar
    files for Java), and easyInstall script, and such.
    Once you have setuptools installed, it's as easy as executing:
    easy_install packagename
    The alternative is to find and download the package yourself, unzip in a
    temporary directory, and execute: setup.py install
    For most packages that's all that is required.
    Is there some automated way to install Python packages? a
    manual/document I
    could read that describes step by step how to do that? Browsing the
    documentation, there does not seem to be something specific there (other
    than saying download this tar file and install it).

    I like how one can install additional packages in 'R' . In 'R' one can do
    all that from the user interface for R by a pull-down menu, then one
    selects
    a mirror site, then one can see all the packages available, then select
    the
    package to download, and the rest is done automatically. (The package is
    downloaded, installed, etc...)
    That's mainly what easy_install does, plus dependency checking.

    --
    Gabriel Genellina
  • Steve Holden at Jan 24, 2008 at 3:54 am

    Gabriel Genellina wrote:
[...]

    So, the only step you are missing is how to install setuptools. This is
    simplicity itself:

    1. In your web browser visit

    http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py

    2. Save the Python. In Internet Explorer use "File | Save As", in
    Firefox use "File | Save Page As"

    3. Run it from the command line (or possibly by double-clicking
    it in an explorer window, never tried that)

    You should now be able to run easy_install from the command line and
    install packages from the usual suspects.

    regards
    Steve

    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedJan 22, '08 at 2:36a
activeJan 24, '08 at 3:54a