I would like to know if some of you knows a

- working

- actual

- out of the box (for me: binaries available)

Package/Lib to do 3D plotting out of the box.

I know matplotlib.

There is MayaVi from enthon but you need to use their python (2.4.3),
all other stuff need picking sources etc.

IVuPy-0.1 seems to be abandonware, and there are no binaries.

I don't get qwtplot3d-0.2.7 to compile on my pc, it seems you need the
commercial
qt 4.33 (with opensource qt 4.3.3 I doesnt work).

Actually there is a big list on python org of 3D software, but I need
only plotting facility (like Matlab for example), and some/most of
the listed projects seem not be up to date (still based on python 2.4,
like PyOpenGL where you get binaries only for python 2.4,
seems to be abandonware too, sigh).

Thanks for a hint :-)

Search Discussions

  • Markacy at Dec 19, 2007 at 5:11 pm

[...]

    Hi anton,

    Have you take a look at vpython? Here's their website:
    http://www.vpython.org/
    And here is an simple example of how to use it:
    http://linuxgazette.net/144/john.html

    Hope this helps :-)

    Cheers,

    Marek
  • Anton at Dec 20, 2007 at 3:43 pm
    Hi Marek,

    thanks for the link .. I knew VPython
    already by I forgot it ( the last time it was only
    python 2.4 compatible) but as I see
    they support python 2.5 now ;-)

    I will check it and thanks again.

    Anton
    Hi anton,

    Have you take a look at vpython? Here's their website:http://www.vpython.org/
    And here is an simple example of how to use it:http://linuxgazette.net/144/john.html

    Hope this helps :-)

    Cheers,

    Marek
  • Jason at Dec 19, 2007 at 5:34 pm

[...]

    PyOpenGL isn't abandonware. Python 2.5 comes with the ctypes module
    [1], so there isn't any need for a binary wrapper module anymore.

    Under 2.5, all pure "wrapper" binary modules are unnecessary. They
    can work cross-platform from pure Python, calling directly into the C
    function code. Trust me, this is an excellent improvement.

    PyOpenGL probably too low-level for what you want, but it isn't dead
    yet. (It's just pining for the symbol table.)

    --Jason

    [1] http://docs.python.org/lib/module-ctypes.html
  • Anton at Dec 20, 2007 at 3:48 pm
    Hi Jason,

    I know ctypes, my problem is not PyOpenGL itself,
    but during my tests with different python based 3D tools,
    some of them depend on PyOpenGL and since PyOPenGL
    is only available for python 2.4 .... the story ends here.

    Sorry I don't actually remember exactly what tool it was,
    I tried out (or tried to try out) different tools for
    doing 3D plotting, but skipped most of them since I did
    not get them to work.
    (... yes I am a little bit confused since I didnt find
    something working out of the box).

    Anton

    PyOpenGL isn't abandonware. Python 2.5 comes with the ctypes module
    [1], so there isn't any need for a binary wrapper module anymore.

    Under 2.5, all pure "wrapper" binary modules are unnecessary. They
    can work cross-platform from pure Python, calling directly into the C
    function code. Trust me, this is an excellent improvement.

    PyOpenGL probably too low-level for what you want, but it isn't dead
    yet. (It's just pining for the symbol table.)

    --Jason

    [1]http://docs.python.org/lib/module-ctypes.html
  • Jason at Dec 20, 2007 at 4:11 pm

[...]

    That's just it: PyOpenGL is available for Python 2.5. Go to "http://
    pyopengl.sourceforge.net/ctypes/using.html" for information about
    getting and installing it.

    Obviously, I don't know what problems are with the tools you tried.
    There may be backward-compatibility problems that I haven't
    encountered with PyOpenGL on Python 2.5.

    I do hope this helps you, even if only a little bit.

    --Jason
  • Peter Wang at Dec 20, 2007 at 6:24 pm