I upgraded my system from tiger to leopard. With leopard came a new
version of python 2.5

Now I trying to run some python code that previously worked on tiger
(which included an older version of python).

This is the error I'm receiving :

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "test.py", line 18, in print_total
f=open('a_file.txt','w')
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'a_file.txt'

Is this a bug in python? This code worked on my old system

Search Discussions

  • Diez B. Roggisch at Dec 3, 2007 at 1:54 pm

    dirkheld wrote:

    Hi,

    I upgraded my system from tiger to leopard. With leopard came a new
    version of python 2.5

    Now I trying to run some python code that previously worked on tiger
    (which included an older version of python).

    This is the error I'm receiving :

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "test.py", line 18, in print_total
    f=open('a_file.txt','w')
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'a_file.txt'

    Is this a bug in python? This code worked on my old system
    The obvious question is: do you have 'a_file.txt' on your new system? There
    are many happy python programmers on leopard, and this is one heck of a
    basic functionality - I really doubt it's broken in such obvious way (if
    any at all).

    Diez
  • Dirkheld at Dec 3, 2007 at 3:00 pm

    I upgraded my system from tiger to leopard. With leopard came a new
    version of python 2.5
    Now I trying to run some python code that previously worked on tiger
    (which included an older version of python).
    This is the error I'm receiving :
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "test.py", line 18, in print_total
    f=open('a_file.txt','w')
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'a_file.txt'
    Is this a bug in python? This code worked on my old system
    The obvious question is: do you have 'a_file.txt' on your new system? There
    are many happy python programmers on leopard, and this is one heck of a
    basic functionality - I really doubt it's broken in such obvious way (if
    any at all).

    Diez
    I don't have a file called 'a_file.txt'
    I want to create that file and write some data to it. (http://
    docs.python.org/tut/node9.html#SECTION009200000000000000000)
    The strange thing is that it worked under tiger with an older vesion
    of python without any problem....
  • Diez B. Roggisch at Dec 3, 2007 at 3:04 pm

    dirkheld wrote:
[...]

    Oh sorry, my bad. I didn't see the mode flag. Do you by any chance happen to
    not have the right to create files in the directory you are? What happens
    if you use it in /tmp for example?

    Still, I hold up to my reasoning: writing files is so essential in python,
    and certainly not subject to great - if any - change (after all, it's just
    calling the underlying OS functions) that I doubt it is broken.

    Diez
  • Hrvoje Niksic at Dec 3, 2007 at 3:40 pm

    dirkheld <dirkheld at gmail.com> writes:

    I don't have a file called 'a_file.txt'
    I want to create that file and write some data to it.
    How exactly are you starting the Python interpreter? "No such file or
    directory" on file creation can happen when you try to create a file
    in a directory that has ceased to exist:

    $ mkdir x
    $ cd x
    $ rm -rf ~/x
    $ python
    Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Oct 5 2007, 13:36:32)
    [GCC 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)] on linux2
    f = open('foo', 'w')
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'foo'
  • Dirkheld at Dec 4, 2007 at 12:50 pm

    How exactly are you starting the Python interpreter? "No such file or
    directory" on file creation can happen when you try to create a file
    in a directory that has ceased to exist:
    Damn...now it's time to be ashamed. Because of my new installation of
    leopard I used another computername. So the path were I wanted to
    write to didn't exist any more.

    Previous : /users/dirkheld/programming/python/....
    Now : /users/dirk/programming/python/...

    Sorry for keeping you guys busy with such a mistake ;)
  • Bruno Desthuilliers at Dec 4, 2007 at 10:24 pm
    dirkheld a ?crit :
    How exactly are you starting the Python interpreter? "No such file or
    directory" on file creation can happen when you try to create a file
    in a directory that has ceased to exist:

    Damn...now it's time to be ashamed. Because of my new installation of
    leopard I used another computername. So the path were I wanted to
    write to didn't exist any more.

    Previous : /users/dirkheld/programming/python/....
    Now : /users/dirk/programming/python/...
    which should remind everybody that hard-coding a path is a bad idea !-)
    Sorry for keeping you guys busy with such a mistake ;)
  • Rick Dooling at Dec 5, 2007 at 12:38 pm
    Sorry for keeping you guys busy with such a mistake ;)
    No apologies necessary, especially since you reported the final
    outcome. Now anybody searching on that message will find a complete
    thread and a lesson learned.

    rick
  • Rick Dooling at Dec 3, 2007 at 2:53 pm