hi carl,

I'm totally new with graphics for python. I'm using windows, but you
make it sound like I need to know how to program with MFC to use them?
Is this true? Can't you just stay in python?
best,
John

I would like like to start doing some GUI-programming in Python, but don't
know which library to choose.

Tkinter seems a bit old. Correct me if I am wrong! The layout doesn't look
as nice as for the others.

wxPython seems to be the first-hand choice for people doing W32-programming
(with MFC-experience).

PyGtk seems to be a modern, very clean and nice approach, but with poor
W32-support. Is PyGtk a mature library with respect to version stability
and documentation.

PyQt is a huge library (thanks to Qt), but not free on W32, or?

Is there any possibility that any of the above-mentioned libraries will be
included as a standard library in any of the near-future Python
distributions?

I myself program on W32 at work, but use Linux at home. So, which one should
I start with in order to reduce the effort of learning something new and to
be productive in the shortest time possible?

By the way, how do I most easily include plotting capabilities to my
Python-apps?

Carl

Search Discussions

  • Benjamin at Nov 29, 2007 at 3:54 am

    John Jameson wrote:
    hi carl,

    I'm totally new with graphics for python. I'm using windows, but you
    make it sound like I need to know how to program with MFC to use them?
    Is this true? Can't you just stay in python?
    Yes, all of the libraries below let you stay in Python. (They have
    binary backends, though.)
    best,
    John

    I would like like to start doing some GUI-programming in Python, but don't
    know which library to choose.

    Tkinter seems a bit old. Correct me if I am wrong! The layout doesn't look
    as nice as for the others.
    Yes, and it's not very powerful. However, it's really easy to use and
    bundled with every Python installation. I like to use it for little
    internal projects.
    wxPython seems to be the first-hand choice for people doing W32-programming
    (with MFC-experience).
    I started out with this kit until I discovered PyQt (and realized the
    docs were all C++)...
    PyGtk seems to be a modern, very clean and nice approach, but with poor
    W32-support. Is PyGtk a mature library with respect to version stability
    and documentation.
    I wouldn't know.
    PyQt is a huge library (thanks to Qt), but not free on W32, or?
    All versions of Qt4 are available under GPL for Mac, X11, and Windows.
    It's big, but very powerful. I have found it to work well on all 3
    platforms. The documentation, in my opinion, the most important part,
    is super. It's very easy to extend and make your own widgets. The only
    thing I find rather clumsy is the I18N support. Pick this toolkit if
    you're going to do any serious development.
    Is there any possibility that any of the above-mentioned libraries will be
    included as a standard library in any of the near-future Python
    distributions?
    Not really
    I myself program on W32 at work, but use Linux at home. So, which one should
    I start with in order to reduce the effort of learning something new and to
    be productive in the shortest time possible?
    Tkinter will get what you want done fast, but PyQt is much more
    powerfull.
    By the way, how do I most easily include plotting capabilities to my
    Python-apps?
    matplot-lib
    Carl
  • Kyosohma at Nov 29, 2007 at 2:03 pm