I'm about halfway through Charles Stross' excellent new novel,
"Halting State". It's set in Edinburgh in the year 2018, and one of
the main characters is a game programmer whose primary language is
something called "Python 3000".

The cover features blurbs from William Gibson, Vernor Vinge, John
Carnack, and Bruce Scheier.

What, they couldn't pop for an advance copy for Guido?

-- Wade Leftwich
Ithaca, NY

Search Discussions

  • Wade Leftwich at Nov 17, 2007 at 3:38 pm

    I'm about halfway through Charles Stross' excellent new novel,
    "Halting State". It's set in Edinburgh in the year 2018, and one of
    the main characters is a game programmer whose primary language is
    something called "Python 3000".

    The cover features blurbs from William Gibson, Vernor Vinge, John
    Carnack, and Bruce Scheier.

    What, they couldn't pop for an advance copy for Guido?

    -- Wade Leftwich
    Ithaca, NY
    Damn keyboard. The last two endorsers are John Carmack and Bruce
    Schneier.
  • Paul McGuire at Nov 17, 2007 at 4:25 pm

    I'm about halfway through Charles Stross' excellent new novel,
    "Halting State". It's set in Edinburgh in the year 2018, and one of
    the main characters is a game programmer whose primary language is
    something called "Python 3000".
    I should hope that by 2018, Python 4000 would be more cutting-edge.
    Or is the protagonist struggling with backward-compatibility with a
    Python version that would be nearly 10 years old already?

    -- Paul
  • Stefan Behnel at Nov 17, 2007 at 7:41 pm

    Paul McGuire wrote:
    I'm about halfway through Charles Stross' excellent new novel,
    "Halting State". It's set in Edinburgh in the year 2018, and one of
    the main characters is a game programmer whose primary language is
    something called "Python 3000".
    I should hope that by 2018, Python 4000 would be more cutting-edge.
    Or is the protagonist struggling with backward-compatibility with a
    Python version that would be nearly 10 years old already?
    I think it was just a conservative guess that Python 3000 would be out by then.

    Stefan
  • Jarek Zgoda at Nov 17, 2007 at 7:44 pm

    Paul McGuire pisze:

    I'm about halfway through Charles Stross' excellent new novel,
    "Halting State". It's set in Edinburgh in the year 2018, and one of
    the main characters is a game programmer whose primary language is
    something called "Python 3000".
    I should hope that by 2018, Python 4000 would be more cutting-edge.
    Or is the protagonist struggling with backward-compatibility with a
    Python version that would be nearly 10 years old already?
    Or, the author questions availability of P3k in 2008. It's not that hard
    to believe, since Python 3000 was a mythical monster (not even like Perl
    6) until recently. If the book was written around 2005 or even 2004...
  • Simon Brunning at Nov 17, 2007 at 7:59 pm

    I'm about halfway through Charles Stross' excellent new novel,
    "Halting State". It's set in Edinburgh in the year 2018, and one of
    the main characters is a game programmer whose primary language is
    something called "Python 3000".
    I should hope that by 2018, Python 4000 would be more cutting-edge.
    Or is the protagonist struggling with backward-compatibility with a
    Python version that would be nearly 10 years old already?
    If the whole 3.n series is called "Python 3000", then it's very
    plausible. I can see Python 3.7 or 3.8 being the latest version in
    2018.

    --
    Cheers,
    Simon B.
    simon at brunningonline.net
    GTalk: simon.brunning | MSN: small_values | Yahoo: smallvalues

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedNov 17, '07 at 3:37p
activeNov 17, '07 at 7:59p