Official Python distro is very stable, with release cycle of around 1
year. However, to include the new version of SQLite, which has a much
shorter release cycle, one has to rebuild the main Python distribution
(to compile with the new SQLite headers) - this is from Python docs.
Therefore, inclusion of PySQLite in Python-2.5.1 distro effectively
shrinks the Python release cycle to that of SQLite. I would not have
minded, except that we have many workstations and pretty arcane
deployment procedure, making frequent redeployment of Python quite
painful.
Has anyone considered this problem and maybe a work-around?

Many thanks in advance,

Mikhail

Search Discussions

  • Diez B. Roggisch at Oct 31, 2007 at 11:14 am

    mikhail.savitsky at gmail.com wrote:

    Hi,

    Official Python distro is very stable, with release cycle of around 1
    year. However, to include the new version of SQLite, which has a much
    shorter release cycle, one has to rebuild the main Python distribution
    (to compile with the new SQLite headers) - this is from Python docs.
    Therefore, inclusion of PySQLite in Python-2.5.1 distro effectively
    shrinks the Python release cycle to that of SQLite. I would not have
    minded, except that we have many workstations and pretty arcane
    deployment procedure, making frequent redeployment of Python quite
    painful.
    Has anyone considered this problem and maybe a work-around?
    I think you misrepresent horse and rider here: python release cycles are
    independent of SQLites. I'm pretty sure they might contain new versions if
    these are API-compatible (remember, python's shipped SQLite won't be
    allowed to break existing stuff).

    In all cases, you can decouple them easily (the same way with element-tree):
    just install sqlite explicitly as a module. It's under a different name
    (not sure which right out of my head), so they don't conflict.

    Diez

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedOct 31, '07 at 7:42a