I want py2exe not to create library.zip. My reason is that the installed
program will be a self updating program, and it must be able to download
changes (newer python source files) from the server. So the files should
not be in library.zip. I tried the --bundle option but apparently it can
only be used to make the distribution __more__ bundled.

Thanks,

Laszlo

Search Discussions

  • Larry Bates at Sep 12, 2007 at 8:55 pm

    Laszlo Nagy wrote:
    Hi,

    I want py2exe not to create library.zip. My reason is that the installed
    program will be a self updating program, and it must be able to download
    changes (newer python source files) from the server. So the files should
    not be in library.zip. I tried the --bundle option but apparently it can
    only be used to make the distribution __more__ bundled.

    Thanks,

    Laszlo
    That is correct. People want less files to distribute not more. People
    complain on py2exe list that it doesn't create a single .EXE file. Don't
    try to update the program via patching "pieces". Wrap everything in a proper
    installer (I use and highly recommend Inno Setup). It can handle version
    control, there is a plug-in for over-the-wire updates, etc. Best way I know of
    to automate everything.

    -Larry
  • Laszlo Nagy at Sep 13, 2007 at 9:59 am

    That is correct. People want less files to distribute not more. People
    complain on py2exe list that it doesn't create a single .EXE file. Don't
    try to update the program via patching "pieces". Wrap everything in a proper
    installer (I use and highly recommend Inno Setup). It can handle version
    control, there is a plug-in for over-the-wire updates, etc. Best way I know of
    to automate everything.
    It would be the best way for Windows. My program must work on different
    platforms: FreeBSD, Linux MS Windows and possibly Mac OS.

    1. It would be too difficult to create an different auto updating method
    for MS Windows.
    2. My auto update method updates only the changed .py files. Hopefully I
    will have many users. I do not want them to download a 10MB inno setup
    file after a small change in a py file.

    The skip_archive option is the best. Thank you so much!

    Laszlo
  • Rob Williscroft at Sep 12, 2007 at 9:20 pm

    I want py2exe not to create library.zip. My reason is that the installed
    program will be a self updating program, and it must be able to download
    changes (newer python source files) from the server. So the files should
    not be in library.zip. I tried the --bundle option but apparently it can
    only be used to make the distribution __more__ bundled.
    In your setup.py, after the call to setup(), use zipfile.ZipFile
    to extract the "library.zip" into a directory called "library" then
    delete the .zip.

    I can't remember of the top of my head, but you may actually need
    to rename the new directory to library.zip for your application
    to work.

    --
    Rob.
  • Grant Edwards at Sep 12, 2007 at 11:41 pm

    I want py2exe not to create library.zip. My reason is that the installed
    program will be a self updating program, and it must be able to download
    changes (newer python source files) from the server. So the files should
    not be in library.zip. I tried the --bundle option but apparently it can
    only be used to make the distribution __more__ bundled.
    In your setup.py, after the call to setup(), use zipfile.ZipFile
    to extract the "library.zip" into a directory called "library" then
    delete the .zip.
    Don't do that. Use the "skip_archive" option to tell it not to
    create the zip file.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! Here I am in 53
    at B.C. and all I want is a

    I want py2exe not to create library.zip.
    setup (
    [...]
    options = {"py2exe": {"skip_archive":1}}
    )

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! Am I accompanied by a
    at PARENT or GUARDIAN?

    I want py2exe not to create library.zip.
    setup (
    [...]
    options = {"py2exe": {"skip_archive":1}}
    )
    Cool! Just what I needed. Where it is documented? Ah, in the source. :-)
  • Grant Edwards at Sep 13, 2007 at 3:35 pm