I want to do SOAP like calls from a device who's libraries
don't include SOAP. I'm thinking of using simple HTTP posts,
but I'm going to want to send arrays and hashes.

First, what do I need to be aware of when sending arbitrary
data by a POST, and Second, is there a universally supported
version of what python can do with pickle? I mostly need
python and PHP, but perl would be nice too.

Thanks,

Toby

  • Martin v. Löwis at Jun 14, 2007 at 9:03 pm

    First, what do I need to be aware of when sending arbitrary
    data by a POST, and Second, is there a universally supported
    version of what python can do with pickle? I mostly need
    python and PHP, but perl would be nice too.
    You might want to use WDDX. There are WDDX libraries for Python,
    PHP, and Perl.

    Regards,
    Martin
  • Simon Brunning at Jun 15, 2007 at 8:52 am

    I want to do SOAP like calls from a device who's libraries
    don't include SOAP. I'm thinking of using simple HTTP posts,
    but I'm going to want to send arrays and hashes.

    First, what do I need to be aware of when sending arbitrary
    data by a POST, and Second, is there a universally supported
    version of what python can do with pickle? I mostly need
    python and PHP, but perl would be nice too.
    JSON might be worth a look. There are libraries available for loads of
    languages, and it's fairly human readable to boot.

    --
    Cheers,
    Simon B.
    simon at brunningonline.net
    GTalk: simon.brunning | MSN: small_values | Yahoo: smallvalues
  • Bruno Desthuilliers at Jun 15, 2007 at 11:12 am

    Tobiah a ?crit :
    I want to do SOAP like calls from a device who's libraries
    don't include SOAP. I'm thinking of using simple HTTP posts,
    but I'm going to want to send arrays and hashes.
    Then I'd second Simon's suggestion to use JSON.
  • Steve Howell at Jun 15, 2007 at 11:44 am
    --- Bruno Desthuilliers
    wrote:
    Tobiah a ?crit :
    I want to do SOAP like calls from a device who's libraries
    don't include SOAP. I'm thinking of using simple
    HTTP posts,
    but I'm going to want to send arrays and hashes.
    Then I'd second Simon's suggestion to use JSON.
    I'll third it.

    Another thing to look at may be YAML:

    http://www.yaml.org/start.html
    http://www.yaml.org/
    http://www.yaml.org/discuss.html

    There are implementations in Python, Ruby, Perl, Java,
    Javascript, etc.:

    http://www.yaml.org/download.html

    One thing that YAML has strived for, and largely got
    for free through fortunate coincidence, was
    compatibility with JSON.

    http://tv.yahoo.com/
  • Simon Brunning at Jun 15, 2007 at 4:25 pm