I upgraded to version 9.5 and all of my tools which enabled me to program by
voice in Emacs are broken. it's one of those dagnabbit a moment's of life.

What I am looking for is a Windows based Python Smart editor that uses specific
rich text edit controls as specified here:

http://knowledgebase.nuance.com/view.asp?tnIDQ04&sQueryB47

Quoting from the article:
"""
A window is considered standard if its window class name is one of the following:

Edit

RichEdit

RichEdit20A

RichEdit20W

RichEdit50W

If the name is not one of those, then an edit control is still considered
standard if its window class name and window styles are similar to those of
standard edit controls.

"""

There is some other stuff in there about other classes that may be able to work
in so far, they haven't yield anything useful to me. Doesn't mean I won't keep
trying but it's more than a tad frustrating trying to root out some of these
magic numbers. Any help would be most appreciated. Actually, it would be
really nice if wxwindows and gtk used the standard classes underneath so
accessibility would be there semiautomatically on Windows but that's a different
conversation.

Search Discussions

  • Chris Mellon at Jun 10, 2007 at 2:43 pm

[...]

    wx does (in large part), but most likely the problem is that the "rich
    text" control used in most editors is not the win32 rich text control,
    but instead Scintilla, which is designed for source editing and is
    much easier to use. Very few editors, of any kind, use the native
    win32 text control for source highlighting.

    wx does have (some) support for the accessibility features in win32,
    you might post a feature request on the wx bug tracker to add them to
    the wx platform bindings for Scintilla.

    The main reason editors don't use the standard control is for syntax
    highlighting and perhaps folding and margins, though, which I'm not
    sure are especially valuable to you. What kind of features makes a
    Python editor 'smart' for someone who's coding with a screen reader?
  • Eric S. Johansson at Jun 10, 2007 at 3:14 pm

    Chris Mellon wrote:
    wx does (in large part), but most likely the problem is that the "rich
    text" control used in most editors is not the win32 rich text control,
    but instead Scintilla, which is designed for source editing and is
    much easier to use. Very few editors, of any kind, use the native
    win32 text control for source highlighting.

    wx does have (some) support for the accessibility features in win32,
    you might post a feature request on the wx bug tracker to add them to
    the wx platform bindings for Scintilla.

    The main reason editors don't use the standard control is for syntax
    highlighting and perhaps folding and margins, though, which I'm not
    sure are especially valuable to you. What kind of features makes a
    Python editor 'smart' for someone who's coding with a screen reader?
    what you said makes wonderful scents. Thank you for explaining. Now, if you
    read the application note, after the list of rich text objects they expect, they
    described a fuzzy in between state where if you tweak the configuration, you get
    Select-and-Say but you know a whole bunch of things about the objects etc. would
    you be so kind as to read over that part of the application note and tell me if
    it applies to any of the Scintilla objects for text display?

    I'm glad to hear you have some of the extensibility features. Some are better
    than none. There is an event coming up in the next few weeks that will trigger
    a need for accessibility interfaces on the Linux side.

    Well, I'm not sure about a screen reader but I'm using speech to text. My
    apologies if I wasn't clear (reading back, I see a couple dropouts that I didn't
    catch and change the meaning significantly. As a brief aside, one of the classic
    problems is can versus can't. Which leaves you very much in doubt if someone
    writes "I can go to bed with you." Is it a misrecognition or an expression of
    desire? only your natural language processing will know for sure:-)

    there's a whole hierarchy of needs. The voice coder project has done some nice
    work in that domain. For me, the fundamental level is the ability to correct
    and replace without error. I should be up to select a phrase or set of words
    and have that region highlighted properly so I can operate on it. I should be
    able to delete the last utterance and not have it count wrong.

    the next level (that the voice coder project handles) is the ability to dictate
    a word and depending on the context or its knowledge of symbols, generate a code
    symbol be a bumpy cap or joined with underscores or some combination thereof.
    Additionally, David Fox, primary developer, did some absolutely gorgeous
    worked with correction mechanisms.

    The next level up would be contextual awareness of variables within your scope
    so that when you dictate something, you don't have to have a big collection of
    static symbols. You create them dynamically based on where you are located in
    your code, which file, and what modules you include. This last one is going to
    be difficult. May not show up for a few years.

    But all I'm asking for right now is simple Select-and-Say as outlined in that
    application note from nuance. I can say "_" with English words on either side
    and the code will work.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedJun 10, '07 at 2:02p
activeJun 10, '07 at 3:14p
websitepython.org

2 users in discussion

Eric S. Johansson: 2 posts Chris Mellon: 1 post