I am using delphi to develop gui application, and wish to make a shift
to python. here are some of my question/concern...

1. is python develop gui application a cross platform? just like java
swing?
2. delphi makes things easy for me like coding for a specific event on
a specific component, could it be the same for python?
3. are there cool library of component like in delphi available for
python that will make database application more usesable?
4. where do I start the learning curve? I did some research and I
don't know which one to take among wxwdiget, pygtk, and etc.

Thanks
james

Search Discussions

  • Stefano Canepa at May 28, 2007 at 7:06 am

    I am using delphi to develop gui application, and wish to make a shift
    to python. here are some of my question/concern...

    1. is python develop gui application a cross platform? just like java
    swing?
    Yes. Qt, wxwidgets and pygtk run on Linux and Windows, don't know
    about Macs.
    2. delphi makes things easy for me like coding for a specific event on
    a specific component, could it be the same for python?
    Not in the Delphi way but glade/gazpacho are good GUI designer for
    gtk.
    I have no experience with qtdesigner or the wx equivalent app.
    3. are there cool library of component like in delphi available for
    python that will make database application more usesable?
    python has dbapi, all DBs look the same, python can also use ORM like
    SQLObjects and SQLALchemy
    4. where do I start the learning curve? I did some research and I
    don't know which one to take among wxwdiget, pygtk, and etc.
    I tried wxwidgets and pygtk, then I decided to use pygtk but it
    could be I'll change my mind in the future.

    Bye
    sc
  • James_027 at May 28, 2007 at 7:28 am

[...]

    Thanks sc,

    What do you mean when you say .."all DBs look the same"

    what is the difference between pygtk and wxwidgets?

    bye
    james
  • Gabriel Genellina at May 28, 2007 at 8:30 am
    En Mon, 28 May 2007 04:28:50 -0300, james_027 <cai.haibin at gmail.com>
    escribi?:
    I am using delphi to develop gui application, and wish to make a shift
    to python. here are some of my question/concern...
    Explore the Python wiki, specially
    <http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming> and ChoosingGuiToolkits.
    Here you have and "Intelligent GUI chooser"
    <http://www.awaretek.com/toolkits.html>
    Search previous posts on this group too as this is a recurring topic.

    --
    Gabriel Genellina
  • Stefano Canepa at May 29, 2007 at 10:26 am

[...]

    That via dbapi you can use different DBs using the same API.
    what is the difference between pygtk and wxwidgets?
    pygtk uses GTK
    wxwidget use a different gui toolkit on different platform. It is
    probably the best crossplatform GUI.
    I used pyGTK simply becouse my GUI apps runs only on gnome.

    Bye
    sc
  • Matt van de Werken at May 28, 2007 at 8:52 am

    james_027 wrote:
    Hi,

    I am using delphi to develop gui application, and wish to make a shift
    to python. here are some of my question/concern...

    1. is python develop gui application a cross platform? just like java
    swing?
    2. delphi makes things easy for me like coding for a specific event on
    a specific component, could it be the same for python?
    3. are there cool library of component like in delphi available for
    python that will make database application more usesable?
    4. where do I start the learning curve? I did some research and I
    don't know which one to take among wxwdiget, pygtk, and etc.
    I'm also going down this path, and have decided on python + wxWidgets +
    boa as the RAD tool. From the tutorial, it seems pretty easy to use,
    except for some minor annoyances on both windows and linux platforms.

    Under windows, for some inexplicable reason the "dialogs" tab is not
    present, while under linux, I can't seem to drag components around the
    frame after placement.

    Cheers,
    mvdw
  • Johnf at May 28, 2007 at 2:15 pm

    james_027 wrote:

    Hi,

    I am using delphi to develop gui application, and wish to make a shift
    to python. here are some of my question/concern...

    1. is python develop gui application a cross platform? just like java
    swing?
    2. delphi makes things easy for me like coding for a specific event on
    a specific component, could it be the same for python?
    3. are there cool library of component like in delphi available for
    python that will make database application more usesable?
    4. where do I start the learning curve? I did some research and I
    don't know which one to take among wxwdiget, pygtk, and etc.

    Thanks
    james
    May I suggest you take a close look at Dabo (www.dabodev.com). Dabo was
    designed from the ground up to do exact what you are asking for. Take a
    look at the Dabo screencast
    (http://leafe.com/screencasts/dataenvironment1.html)
    which will provide an easy review of most of what Dabo can do.

    Johnf
  • Ed Leafe at May 29, 2007 at 1:12 am