Hi all. Im looking for the pyGoogle for making google searchs y a python
script. The thing is, all im founding is an AJAX api, but the
application ill use is NOT a web app. So, someone know if there is a
pure python api that i can download and use?

Thanks!
Gerardo

Search Discussions

  • Gabriel Genellina at May 22, 2007 at 9:53 pm
    En Tue, 22 May 2007 15:34:08 -0300, Gerardo Herzig <gherzig at fmed.uba.ar>
    escribi?:
    Hi all. Im looking for the pyGoogle for making google searchs y a python
    script. The thing is, all im founding is an AJAX api, but the
    application ill use is NOT a web app. So, someone know if there is a
    pure python api that i can download and use?
    Unless you already have a key, you can't. See
    http://code.google.com/apis/soapsearch/
    Either use the AJAX api, or a simple page request (and scrape it).

    --
    Gabriel Genellina
  • Larry Bates at May 22, 2007 at 11:31 pm

    Gerardo Herzig wrote:
    Hi all. Im looking for the pyGoogle for making google searchs y a python
    script. The thing is, all im founding is an AJAX api, but the
    application ill use is NOT a web app. So, someone know if there is a
    pure python api that i can download and use?

    Thanks!
    Gerardo
    The server (Google) on the other end doesn't know what type of app you
    are. It just responds to XMLRPC requests. I haven't used the interface
    but I'm guessing that I would use Twisted to make XMLRPC request to Google
    and process the response XML payload using Elementree.

    -Larry
  • Maric Michaud at May 23, 2007 at 11:21 pm

    Larry Bates a ?crit :
    Gerardo Herzig wrote:
    Hi all. Im looking for the pyGoogle for making google searchs y a python
    script. The thing is, all im founding is an AJAX api, but the
    application ill use is NOT a web app. So, someone know if there is a
    pure python api that i can download and use?

    Thanks!
    Gerardo
    The server (Google) on the other end doesn't know what type of app you
    are. It just responds to XMLRPC requests. I haven't used the interface
    but I'm guessing that I would use Twisted to make XMLRPC request to Google
    and process the response XML payload using Elementree.
    Yes, you could if you have time... or you can just use the
    straightforward xmlrpclib which is in stdlib. I used it with Zope and it
    just works fine.

    just try :

    import xmlrpclib

    help(xmlrpclib)

    Larry, excuse for the private mail.
  • Vyacheslav Maslov at May 24, 2007 at 3:45 am

    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-pyth14/

    --
  • John Nagle at May 24, 2007 at 4:46 am

    Vyacheslav Maslov wrote:
    Gerardo Herzig wrote:
    Hi all. Im looking for the pyGoogle for making google searchs y a
    python script. The thing is, all im founding is an AJAX api, but the
    application ill use is NOT a web app. So, someone know if there is a
    pure python api that i can download and use?

    Thanks!
    Gerardo
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-pyth14/
    Can't use that any more. Google dropped their SOAP API a few
    months back. All they offer now is their AJAX API, which
    comes with restrictive contract terms. You have to display their
    data on screen in their format, although you can annotate it
    with info of your own, as long as that info isn't an ad.

    However, Yahoo offers a true search API: put in a URL, get
    XML back. Yahoo limits you to 5000 calls per day unless you
    talk to them about getting more requests.

    We use both of these, and our site is written in Python.
    Javascript in the browser is handling the interaction with
    the search engine, requesting ratings on the sites mentioned
    in the search results from our server, and displaying those
    ratings.

    http://www.sitetruth.com/yhoo.html for Yahoo
    http://www.sitetruth.com/goog.html for Google

    Ask (formerly Ask Jeeves) used to have the Teoma API, but
    they dropped that a few months back, and "xml.teoma.com" is
    now dead. Microsoft has a search API which is SOAP-based,
    but Microsoft wants you to access it via C# and .NET, and
    it's documented accordingly.

    There are "meta-search" engines that just screen scrape
    user-type results from other search engines, but for the
    major search engines, this violates the terms of service.

    John Nagle

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedMay 22, '07 at 6:34p