When I use os.popen(cmd,'w'), I find that under windows, the stdout
of the child process disappears, instead of appearing in the DOS window
the script is invoked from. eg:

C:\> type foo.py
import os
import sys
file = os.popen("nslookup", 'w')
file.write("google.com\n")
file.close()

C:\> python foo.py
<-- nothing is printed
C:\>

This just seems wrong. The following DOS equivalent works fine:

C:\> echo google.com | nslookup
Default Server: dns.erco.x
Address: 192.168.1.14
[..expected output..]

When I run the same python program on a unix box, the output
from 'nslookup' appears in the terminal, as I'd expect.

Shouldn't popen() be consistent in its handling of the child's
stdout and stderr across platforms?

Maybe I'm missing something, being somewhat new to python, but
an old hand at unix and win32 and functions like popen(). Didn't
see anything in the docs for popen(), and I googled around quite
a bit on the web and groups for eg. 'python windows popen stdout lost'
and found nothing useful.

FWIW, I'm using the windows version of python 2.5 from activestate.

Search Discussions

  • Gabriel Genellina at May 12, 2007 at 4:22 am
    En Sat, 12 May 2007 00:46:16 -0300, Greg Ercolano <erco at 3dsite.com>
    escribi?:
    When I use os.popen(cmd,'w'), I find that under windows, the stdout
    of the child process disappears, instead of appearing in the DOS window
    the script is invoked from. eg: [...]
    When I run the same python program on a unix box, the output
    from 'nslookup' appears in the terminal, as I'd expect.

    Shouldn't popen() be consistent in its handling of the child's
    stdout and stderr across platforms?

    Maybe I'm missing something, being somewhat new to python, but
    an old hand at unix and win32 and functions like popen(). Didn't
    see anything in the docs for popen(), and I googled around quite
    a bit on the web and groups for eg. 'python windows popen stdout lost'
    and found nothing useful.
    Using the subprocess module is the recommended approach (as you can see on
    the os.popen documentation) and does what you want:

    C:\TEMP>type foo2.py
    import subprocess
    p = subprocess.Popen("nslookup", stdin=subprocess.PIPE)
    p.stdin.write("google.com\n")
    p.stdin.close()

    C:\TEMP>python foo2.py

    C:\TEMP>Servidor predeterminado: coyote.softlabbsas.com.ar
    Address: 192.168.0.116
    Servidor: coyote.softlabbsas.com.ar
    Address: 192.168.0.116

    Respuesta no autoritativa:
    Nombre: google.com
    Addresses: 64.233.187.99, 64.233.167.99, 72.14.207.99

    C:\TEMP>

    For more info about subprocess usage, see
    http://docs.python.org/lib/module-subprocess.html

    --
    Gabriel Genellina
  • Half Italian at May 12, 2007 at 4:33 am

[...]

    Glad to see you're finally coming into the light Greg! I've used Rush
    in a few different studios over the past couple of years. We even had
    sushi once. :)

    I'm no expert like you, but I think I can point you in the right
    direction. You need os.popen2 which returns a tuple of file-like
    objects. The first pointing to stdin, and the second pointing to
    stdout. Write to stdin, and read from stdout.

    import os
    import sys
    stdin, stdout = os.popen2("nslookup")
    stdin.write("google.com\n")
    stdin.close()

    print stdout.read()
    stdout.close()

    I don't use windows much, but I believe the os.popen functionality is
    being replaced by subprocess.Popen:

    from subprocess import *
    import sys

    p = Popen("nslookup", shell=True, bufsize24, stdin=PIPE,
    stdout=PIPE, close_fds=True)
    p.stdin.write("google.com\n")
    p.stdin.close()

    print p.stdout.read()