If a user resizes a Toplevel window, or I set a Toplevel's geometry
using the geometry() method*, is there any way to have the geometry
reset to that required for all the widgets?

I think I found what I'm looking for in tk itself:
"""
13.3. How can I clear the geometry settings for a toplevel?
If you want to have Tk resize your toplevel to what the toplevel
requires (ie: the user might have resized it, or a widget was
removed), use [wm geometry $toplevel].
"""
[from http://tcl.sourceforge.net/faqs/tk/]

* for instance, if I want to turn of Tkinter's automatic adjustment of
the window to fit all the widgets by doing something like
self.geometry(self.geometry()), is there any way to undo that?

Thanks,
Chris

Search Discussions

  • James Stroud at Mar 25, 2007 at 11:40 am

    Chris wrote:
    Hi,

    If a user resizes a Toplevel window, or I set a Toplevel's geometry
    using the geometry() method*, is there any way to have the geometry
    reset to that required for all the widgets?

    I think I found what I'm looking for in tk itself:
    """
    13.3. How can I clear the geometry settings for a toplevel?
    If you want to have Tk resize your toplevel to what the toplevel
    requires (ie: the user might have resized it, or a widget was
    removed), use [wm geometry $toplevel].
    """
    [from http://tcl.sourceforge.net/faqs/tk/]

    * for instance, if I want to turn of Tkinter's automatic adjustment of
    the window to fit all the widgets by doing something like
    self.geometry(self.geometry()), is there any way to undo that?

    Thanks,
    Chris
    Hi Chris,

    I think you are on to something. The equivalent of

    [wm geometry $toplevel]

    in Tkinter would be

    sometop.geometry()

    Or, equivalently,

    sometop.wm_geometry()

    Or, calling the underlying tcl/tk interpreter directly

    sometop.tk.call('wm', 'geometry', str(sometop))

    Which is redundant, but emphasizes the point: This does not resize the
    widget as expected nor does it cause the window to resize upon adding
    new packing slaves--at least for the X11 based Tkinter for mac via the
    fink debian based package manager.

    Really wish things worked according to the docs a lot of the time or
    that they weren't so poorly written. Perhaps they are implying that you
    must pass parameters, however they do not explain how one might generate
    said parameters to get the required size to which they allude. Terribly
    disappointing.

    James
  • James Stroud at Mar 25, 2007 at 12:03 pm

    James Stroud wrote:
    Chris wrote:
    Hi,

[...]

    After playing with this an inordinate amount of time, I found that one
    does need to supply parameters, namely the null parameter of an empty
    string. Try:

    sometop.geometry('')

    This repacks according to the widgets. Not quite clear from the
    miserable docs, is it?

    James
  • James Stroud at Mar 25, 2007 at 12:06 pm

    James Stroud wrote:
    James Stroud wrote:
    Chris wrote:
    Hi,

[...]

    Now for the advanced question, how might one bind that to the
    resize/maximize button of the window decorations? I'm guessing with
    protocol, but its way past my bedtime.

    James
  • Chris at Mar 25, 2007 at 12:10 pm

    After playing with this an inordinate amount of time, I found that one
    does need to supply parameters, namely the null parameter of an empty
    string. Try:

    sometop.geometry('')

    This repacks according to the widgets. Not quite clear from the
    miserable docs, is it?

    Wow, that does work. Thank you very much for figuring it out!
  • Cameron Laird at Mar 25, 2007 at 4:43 pm
    In article <1174824649.683426.78990 at d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
    After playing with this an inordinate amount of time, I found that one
    does need to supply parameters, namely the null parameter of an empty
    string. Try:

    sometop.geometry('')

    This repacks according to the widgets. Not quite clear from the
    miserable docs, is it?

    Wow, that does work. Thank you very much for figuring it out!
    A TRULY good way to show your thanks for help like this
    is to write up what you learned at the Tkinter Wiki <URL:
    http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/ >. Note:
    A. You have to log in to edit pages
    on this particular Wiki. If you
    decide to join us, then, you'll
    first need to create an account.

    Read-only visitors can be anony-
    mous, of course.
    B. Major thanks to Jeff Epler for
    maintaining the site, and, in
    particular, for fighting off
    recent vandalism.
  • Chris at Mar 27, 2007 at 8:54 am

    A TRULY good way to show your thanks for help like this
    is to write up what you learned at theTkinterWiki <URL:http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/>. Note:
    A. You have to log in to edit pages
    on this particular Wiki. If you
    decide to join us, then, you'll
    first need to create an account.
    I'll do that, yes. I guess I should create a 'Toplevel' page and put
    the information on there? Unless someone can suggest something better.

    I also wonder if I should have posted this question to the tkinter-
    discuss mailing list (see http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TkinterDiscuss)
    instead of to comp.lang.python. However, I wasn't aware of that list
    before, and it's not linked to from the python.org 'community' page
    (as far as I can see - and in fact, the python.org pages imply that
    tkinter questions should be asked on comp.lang.python). I'm new to
    tkinter, so it wasn't immediately clear where to get help.
  • Russell E. Owen at Mar 26, 2007 at 7:04 pm
    In article <1174803181.656189.303200 at l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,