Hello,

This page:
http://www.develer.com/oss/GccWinBinaries

contains a friendly Windows installer for GCC 4.1.2 (MinGW binary version),
with full support for integrating it with Python installations so that it is
used by distutils to compile Python extensions.

Direct download link:
http://www.develer.com/~rasky/gcc-4.1.2-mingw-setup.exe

Who needs this package?

* People who wants to use FLOSS tools to develop Python extensions.
* People who wants to use the recent GCC 4.1.2 to develop Python extensions,
given that it easily outperforms the 4-years-old Visual Studio .NET 2003.

What's special about this?

* mingw.org still has GCC 3.4.2, so go figure. Also, you need to compose
other packages together. This is a single installer with everything inside.
* By default, MinGW GCC links with MSVCRT.DLL, and not MSVCR71.DLL (used by
Python 2.4 and 2.5). Fixing this is pretty complicate, and there's much
confusion (Google turns up red herrings). This package handles everything for
you, and it just works.

--
Giovanni Bajo
Develer S.r.l.

Search Discussions

  • David Rushby at Mar 18, 2007 at 12:24 pm