Hi

I just released a new version of pycallgraph. It has many improvements
over 0.1.0. Here is an example of a call graph made in pycallgraph
0.2.0:
http://pycallgraph.slowchop.com/pycallgraph/wiki/RegExpExample

There are more examples on the web site:
http://pycallgraph.slowchop.com/

The changes are:
* Windows access denied bug fixed
* graph uses different colours depending on the number of calls made
to the function
* graph settings and look are very customisable
* exclude and include filters
* stop_trace() is not required anymore, it is called automatically by
make_graph()
* will throw an exception if there is an error from dot/neato
* removed obvious use of __main__ as the module name
* added some examples

There is no documentation yet but if you browse the source you'll be
able to figure out a lot.

Enjoy!

Gerald

Search Discussions

  • Stef Mientki at Feb 10, 2007 at 12:14 pm

    Gerald Kaszuba wrote:
[...]

    looks very good Gerald, thanks !

    My first test was terrible: a file of 800kB was created,
    Trying to view it, resulted in the following:
    - Paint Shop Pro told me it was not a valid PNG file,
    - Mozilla crashed after 5 minutes,
    - GIMP gave me a preview after half an hour ;-)

    So a few suggestions:
    - is there a way to limit the number of nodes ?
    - "pycallgraph." nodes are "non-information"
    (maybe you can find another way to place your "signature" ;-)
    - how do I exclude modules/files/objects (sorry I'm still a newbie in Python)

    cheers,
    Stef Mientki
  • Gerald Kaszuba at Feb 10, 2007 at 7:05 pm

    My first test was terrible: a file of 800kB was created,
    Trying to view it, resulted in the following:
    - Paint Shop Pro told me it was not a valid PNG file,
    - Mozilla crashed after 5 minutes,
    - GIMP gave me a preview after half an hour ;-)
    Impressive! :)
    So a few suggestions:
    - is there a way to limit the number of nodes ?
    Not yet, I will have a maximum stack-depth option in the next version.
    - "pycallgraph." nodes are "non-information"
    (maybe you can find another way to place your "signature" ;-)
    This should be fixed in the next version.
    - how do I exclude modules/files/objects (sorry I'm still a newbie in Python)
    Say you want to only display your own modules called 'foo' and 'bar':
    import pycallgraph
    pycallgraph.settings['include_module'] = ['foo', bar]
    pycallgraph.start_trace()
    pycallgraph.make_graph('blah.png')
    From the source there are these options for inclusion and exclusion:
    'exclude_module': [],
    'exclude_class': [],
    'exclude_func': [],
    'exclude_specific': ['stop_trace', 'make_graph'],
    'include_module': [],
    'include_class': [],
    'include_func': [],
    'include_specific': [],

    "specific" means the whole name of a node, e.g.
    "foo.MyBarClass.__init__"

    Gerald
  • Skip at Feb 10, 2007 at 1:28 pm
    Gerald> I just released a new version of pycallgraph. It has many
    Gerald> improvements over 0.1.0.

    Looks nice. Before you get too far... Is there any chance that you can
    support ASCII output mode (obviously not laid out in two dimensions, just
    using indentation) so the GraphViz requirement can become optional?
    GraphViz has so many dependencies of its own (and many of them are
    GTK-related) that the chance of me satisfying them is very small. (I'm on
    Solaris and Mac, not Linux, so I don't have the benefit of a Linux distro to
    solve those particular headaches for me.)

    Thanks,

    Skip
  • Gerald Kaszuba at Feb 10, 2007 at 7:34 pm

    Looks nice. Before you get too far... Is there any chance that you can
    support ASCII output mode (obviously not laid out in two dimensions, just
    using indentation) so the GraphViz requirement can become optional?
    GraphViz has so many dependencies of its own (and many of them are
    GTK-related) that the chance of me satisfying them is very small. (I'm on
    Solaris and Mac, not Linux, so I don't have the benefit of a Linux distro to
    solve those particular headaches for me.)
    It's easy enough. I'll put it on my todo list.

    Gerald

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedFeb 10, '07 at 7:13a