Recently I posted a question about the factory pattern in python. I ve
implemented this following one of the ideas posted. After some reading
I ve seem a lot of Aspect Oriented Programming mentioned but I m not
really sure what it is.

Can anyone help me understand how metaclasses can improve the quality
of my code and let me do better things.

Also is there anymore interesting OO stuff that Python has apart from Java.

Many Thanks

Nathan

Search Discussions

  • Mike C. Fletcher at Dec 15, 2006 at 11:09 pm

    Nathan Harmston wrote:
    Hi,

    Recently I posted a question about the factory pattern in python. I ve
    implemented this following one of the ideas posted. After some reading
    I ve seem a lot of Aspect Oriented Programming mentioned but I m not
    really sure what it is.

    Can anyone help me understand how metaclasses can improve the quality
    of my code and let me do better things.
    My presentation from three pycons ago was an attempt to address this
    issue (what metaclasses are useful for):

    http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/metaclasses-pycon.pdf

    HTH,
    Mike

    Mike C. Fletcher
    Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
    http://www.vrplumber.com
    http://blog.vrplumber.com
  • Paddy at Dec 17, 2006 at 8:22 am

    Nathan Harmston wrote:
    Also is there anymore interesting OO stuff that Python has apart from Java.
    Duck Typing: http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread22721.html;
    http://mindview.net/WebLog/log-0025,
    Python does not have checked exceptions:
    http://www.mindview.net/Etc/Discussions/CheckedExceptions

    - Paddy.
  • Michele Simionato at Dec 18, 2006 at 10:45 am

    Nathan Harmston wrote:
    Hi,

    Recently I posted a question about the factory pattern in python. I ve
    implemented this following one of the ideas posted. After some reading
    I ve seem a lot of Aspect Oriented Programming mentioned but I m not
    really sure what it is.

    Can anyone help me understand how metaclasses can improve the quality
    of my code and let me do better things.
    Have you read the two papers in IBMDeveloperWorks about metaclasses?
    There is also
    a third one, about avoiding metaclasses, which is waiting for
    publication. Here is the draft:
    http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~micheles/python/classinitializer.html

    Michele Simionato
  • Bruno Desthuilliers at Dec 18, 2006 at 11:34 am
    Nathan Harmston a ?crit :
    (snip)
    Also is there anymore interesting OO stuff that Python has apart from Java.
    Quite a lot. Everything (well, except statements and expressions...) in
    Python is an object, including classes, modules and functions, and
    Python objects are really 'dynamic', ie you can modify them at runtime -
    and when I say 'modify', I mean things like adding/replacing/removing
    attributes, including methods and class (which are attributes too...).

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedDec 15, '06 at 10:34p
activeDec 18, '06 at 11:34a