I am just getting into python and am trying to learn how to use the
python.vim script. I really like the fact that it autoindents for me while
inserting defs etc, but how do I move my cursor to back to outer block (say
at the end of a def) to continue with writing next def while still in insert
mode? Right now I have to get out of insert mode to do this....very
annoying!
If I understand what you're wanting, it sounds like you want an
exdent sort of command.

Vim provides two variants within insert mode:

1) just plain control+D will exdent one 'shiftwidth'

2) typing a zero followed by a control+D will exdent you to the
far left margin

You can read more in the help at

:help i_CTRL-D
:help i_0_CTRL-D
:help i_^_CTRL-D

(that last variant is more helpful for C/C++ coding than for
Python, but it's nice to know it's there)

For future reference regarding vim related questions, I highly
recommend the vim mailing list, which you can find at www.vim.org
which is almost pure content (very high S/N ratio) and gives the
python ML a run for its money in terms of fast & accurate responses.

-tkc

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedNov 9, '06 at 6:08p