With web hosting, does the ISP you chose have to support the framework
you work with as well?

Im looking at making a site in Python, however, Im lost as to what ISPs
actually support. Some ISPs say they support Python so does that mean
if I wanted to use TurboGears It would just work anyway?

If an ISP just mentions Python support, does it mean CGI only
scripting?

I always assumed a framework was just a set of libraries you import
into your project and things just start working...like a jar file in
Java.

Thanks for your time,

Search Discussions

  • Gregor Horvath at Oct 15, 2006 at 7:00 am

    http://docs.turbogears.org/1.0/Hosting?highlight=%28hosting%29

    --
    Servus, Gregor
  • Metaperl at Oct 16, 2006 at 1:59 pm

    Sir Psycho wrote:
    Hi,

    With web hosting, does the ISP you chose have to support the framework
    you work with as well?

    Im looking at making a site in Python, however, Im lost as to what ISPs
    actually support.
    We support any and every thing Python and we are a not-for-profit
    cooperative. Check us out:

    http://www.HCOOP.net
    irc://irc.freenode.org/#hcoop
  • Bruno Desthuilliers at Oct 16, 2006 at 4:03 pm

    Sir Psycho wrote:
    Hi,

    With web hosting, does the ISP you chose have to support the framework
    you work with as well?
    It at least has to support a reasonable way to deploy an application
    using the said framework - now what this implies depends on the choosen
    framework.
    Im looking at making a site in Python, however, Im lost as to what ISPs
    actually support. Some ISPs say they support Python so does that mean
    if I wanted to use TurboGears It would just work anyway?

    If an ISP just mentions Python support, does it mean CGI only
    scripting?
    It really depends on the ISP. You have to check on case by case basis.
    I always assumed a framework was just a set of libraries you import
    into your project and things just start working...like a jar file in
    Java.
    Things may get a bit more complicated when it comes to web applications.
    FWIW, I'm not sure you can deploy any web applications in Java without a
    (distinct, long-running process) application server... In the very worst
    case, Python has at least CGI support (now why would anyone go for an
    ISP that doesn't provide a better Python support is another question !-).

    --
    bruno desthuilliers
  • Jose C at Oct 16, 2006 at 6:18 pm

    With web hosting, does the ISP you chose have to support the framework
    you work with as well?

    Im looking at making a site in Python, however, Im lost as to what ISPs
    actually support. Some ISPs say they support Python so does that mean
    if I wanted to use TurboGears It would just work anyway?
    Check out http://webfaction.com... They have a one-click TurboGears
    installation procedure (as well as some other frameworks) but you can
    also install your own custom frameworks if they don't support it
    directly.

    HTH,

grouppython-list @
categoriespython