I have ran the MSI installer for Python 2.5 several times attempting to
install to C:
Python, however all of the files are placed in C:\ . The installer is
told to only install files for me, beyond that I have only chosen the
defaults.

If I copy the files after installation, then uninstall Python, I can
still use the application. However I am unable to install py2exe since
it does not see Python in the registry, py2exe refuses to install when
the Python files are in C:\ .

The system in am installing on is WinXP SP 2 and I have enough admin
rights on the machine to install software.

Google turned up nothing useful that I could find, is anyone else
seeing this problem?

Thanks,

Wayne

Search Discussions

  • Martin v. Löwis at Sep 25, 2006 at 9:20 pm

    paw schrieb:
    Google turned up nothing useful that I could find, is anyone else
    seeing this problem?
    I haven't heard of it before. Please run the file with

    msiexec /i python-2.5.msi /l*v python.log

    and post the resulting python.log in a bug report at
    sf.net/projects/python.

    Regards,
    Martin
  • John Machin at Sep 25, 2006 at 10:26 pm

    paw wrote:
    I have ran the MSI installer for Python 2.5 several times attempting to
    install to C:
    Python, however all of the files are placed in C:\ . The installer is
    told to only install files for me, beyond that I have only chosen the
    defaults.
    What do you mean by "install to C: <newline> Python"? Can you tell us
    (unambiguously, on one line) what directory you chose? Is there any
    good reason why you didn't take the default, which is
    C:\Python25
    ?
    If I copy the files after installation, then uninstall Python, I can
    still use the application. However I am unable to install py2exe since
    it does not see Python in the registry, py2exe refuses to install when
    the Python files are in C:\ .

    The system in am installing on is WinXP SP 2 and I have enough admin
    rights on the machine to install software.

    Google turned up nothing useful that I could find, is anyone else
    seeing this problem?
    There's been no mention that I've noticed.

    Cheers,
    John
  • Paw at Sep 29, 2006 at 10:01 am

    John Machin wrote:
    paw wrote:
    I have ran the MSI installer for Python 2.5 several times attempting to
    install to C:
    Python, however all of the files are placed in C:\ . The installer is
    told to only install files for me, beyond that I have only chosen the
    defaults.
    What do you mean by "install to C: <newline> Python"? Can you tell us
    (unambiguously, on one line) what directory you chose? Is there any
    good reason why you didn't take the default, which is
    C:\Python25
    ?
    The <newline> should have been \ , the keyboard I am using sucks and
    places the backslash below Enter vs. above like I am used to. I just
    didn't catch that when posting.

    I really don't know why I always change the directory, I've just always
    installed Python on MS Windows into C:\Python. No practical reason, I
    do the same with other programs.
    Google turned up nothing useful that I could find, is anyone else
    seeing this problem?
    There's been no mention that I've noticed.
    I'm thinking this is a local issue. I came in today and used the same
    MSI installer as before and there were no problems.

    I'm looking through the local logs to see if there has been any change
    on this system in the past day or two right now.

    Wayne
  • Matthew Warren at Sep 29, 2006 at 11:23 am
    I have ran the MSI installer for Python 2.5 several times attempting
    install to C:
    Python, however all of the files are placed in C:\ . The installer
    is
    told to only install files for me, beyond that I have only chosen
    the
    defaults.
    What do you mean by "install to C: <newline> Python"? Can you tell us
    (unambiguously, on one line) what directory you chose? Is there any
    good reason why you didn't take the default, which is
    C:\Python25
    ?

    Could this happen if c:\python does not exists and creating it fails for
    some reason, or if permissions are incorrect?

    This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and delete the email from your computer.

    You should not copy the email, use it for any purpose or disclose its contents to any other person.
    Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email may be personal to the author and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Digica.
    It is the responsibility of the recipient to check this email for the presence of viruses. Digica accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

    UK: Phoenix House, Colliers Way, Nottingham, NG8 6AT UK
    Reception Tel: + 44 (0) 115 977 1177
    Support Centre: 0845 607 7070
    Fax: + 44 (0) 115 977 7000
    http://www.digica.com

    SOUTH AFRICA: Building 3, Parc du Cap, Mispel Road, Bellville, 7535, South Africa
    Tel: + 27 (0) 21 957 4900
    Fax: + 27 (0) 21 948 3135
    http://www.digica.com
  • John Machin at Sep 29, 2006 at 3:02 pm

    I have ran the MSI installer for Python 2.5 several times attempting
    install to C:
    Python, however all of the files are placed in C:\ . The installer
    is
    told to only install files for me, beyond that I have only chosen
    the
    defaults.
    What do you mean by "install to C: <newline> Python"? Can you tell us
    (unambiguously, on one line) what directory you chose? Is there any
    good reason why you didn't take the default, which is
    C:\Python25
    ?

    Could this happen if c:\python does not exists and creating it fails for
    some reason, or if permissions are incorrect?
    Are you installing it as a "normal" user or as an Administrator? I have
    occasionally had problems (not when installing Python) as a "normal"
    user not being allowed to create a folder at the C:\ level.

    I'd suggest this;
    (1) log on as as administrator (i.e. with full rights)
    (2) do an "all users" installation
    (3) You haven't come up with a good reason for doing otherwise, so read
    my lips: *** use the default installation folder C:\Python25 *** you'll
    be happy you did, when Python 2.6 comes out and you want to have both
    installed.

    HTH,
    John
  • Paw at Oct 13, 2006 at 3:08 pm

    Could this happen if c:\python does not exists and creating it fails for
    some reason, or if permissions are incorrect?
    Are you installing it as a "normal" user or as an Administrator? I have
    occasionally had problems (not when installing Python) as a "normal"
    user not being allowed to create a folder at the C:\ level.

    I'd suggest this;
    (1) log on as as administrator (i.e. with full rights)
    (2) do an "all users" installation
    (3) You haven't come up with a good reason for doing otherwise, so read
    my lips: *** use the default installation folder C:\Python25 *** you'll
    be happy you did, when Python 2.6 comes out and you want to have both
    installed.
    It turns out the domain admin took away my local admin rights
    mistakenly. Once I got those back everything worked fine.

    The only 'logic' for my not installing to a directory with the version
    is that I don't keep more than one version of Python on my system at
    any given time. When the new version comes out and is stable I remove
    the old one, this forces me to check any programs against the latest
    version.

    Thanks for all of the help,

    Wayne

grouppython-list @