Here is a problem I am trying to solve; I am sure there must be an easy
way to do it and I just don't know how.

I have a rather large application that I am writing. To make it easy for
the user to run I have them run a startup.py script. This script will
try to load each of the third party libraries the application will need.
If it is present, great. If it isn't, I would like to automatically
install it. This is the heart of my problem: is there a Python
equivalent to PERL's CPAN?

Peace,
Chaz

Search Discussions

  • John Machin at Sep 18, 2006 at 1:55 pm

    Chaz Ginger wrote:
    Here is a problem I am trying to solve; I am sure there must be an easy
    way to do it and I just don't know how.

    I have a rather large application that I am writing. To make it easy for
    the user to run I have them run a startup.py script. This script will
    try to load each of the third party libraries the application will need.
    If it is present, great. If it isn't, I would like to automatically
    install it. This is the heart of my problem: is there a Python
    equivalent to PERL's CPAN?
    Check out setuptools:
    http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools

    HTH,
    John
  • Bruno Desthuilliers at Sep 18, 2006 at 1:59 pm

    Chaz Ginger wrote:
    Here is a problem I am trying to solve; I am sure there must be an easy
    way to do it and I just don't know how.

    I have a rather large application that I am writing. To make it easy for
    the user to run I have them run a startup.py script. This script will
    try to load each of the third party libraries the application will need.
    If it is present, great. If it isn't, I would like to automatically
    install it. This is the heart of my problem: is there a Python
    equivalent to PERL's CPAN?
    Not quite. But you should definitively have a look at setuptools before
    proceeding to reinventing the SquareWheel(tm):

    http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools

    --
    bruno desthuilliers

grouppython-list @