I need compile code written in Python. I use Windows 98SE. Should I
download Python for Windows installer?
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.3/python-2.4.3.msi
Will the msi installer modify registry or other system files? Does it
possible install Python not touching registry and system files?

thanks.

Search Discussions

  • Larry Bates at Aug 30, 2006 at 12:17 pm

    mistral wrote:
    I need compile code written in Python. I use Windows 98SE. Should I
    download Python for Windows installer?
    http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.3/python-2.4.3.msi
    Will the msi installer modify registry or other system files? Does it
    possible install Python not touching registry and system files?

    thanks.
    The installer does make a few minor registry entries (what Windows
    program doesn't). They are minor and have only to do with the program
    being able to know where it is installed, etc.

    You can't really "compile" Python code, it is an interpreted
    language. You can use an extension called py2exe that packages up
    python code with a .exe file and a couple of support files and
    that package can be installed on a computer with minimal or no
    registry or system file modifications.

    -Larry Bates
  • Grant Edwards at Aug 30, 2006 at 2:46 pm

    I need compile code written in Python. I use Windows 98SE.
    Should I download Python for Windows installer?
    http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.3/python-2.4.3.msi
    I like the active state windows installs. They contain a few
    pretty nice extras:

    http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/
    Will the msi installer modify registry or other system files?
    Does it possible install Python not touching registry and
    system files?
    Dunno.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! I know th'MAMBO!! I
    at have a TWO-TONE CHEMISTRY
    Will the msi installer modify registry or other system files?
    Does it possible install Python not touching registry and
    system files?
    You can make your own installer to install Python, and make sure the
    registry is not touched - I think the current installer modifies at
    least the .py .pyw file association.

    hg
  • Mistral at Aug 30, 2006 at 4:10 pm

    hg ?????(?):

    Grant Edwards wrote:
    Will the msi installer modify registry or other system files?
    Does it possible install Python not touching registry and
    system files?
    You can make your own installer to install Python, and make sure the
    registry is not touched - I think the current installer modifies at
    least the .py .pyw file association.

    hg
    --------------------
    not sure how to make custom installer to install Python on windows. Is
    there some ready one?
    If msi installer modify just pair of keys, and not touch system files,
    then OK. Have it uninstaller also?

    mistral
  • Larry Bates at Aug 30, 2006 at 10:56 pm

    mistral wrote:
    hg ?????(?):
    Grant Edwards wrote:
    Will the msi installer modify registry or other system files?
    Does it possible install Python not touching registry and
    system files?
    You can make your own installer to install Python, and make sure the
    registry is not touched - I think the current installer modifies at
    least the .py .pyw file association.

    hg
    --------------------
    not sure how to make custom installer to install Python on windows. Is
    there some ready one?
    If msi installer modify just pair of keys, and not touch system files,
    then OK. Have it uninstaller also?

    mistral
    If you really want to install Python on Windows, I would recommend that
    you get ActiveState Python, it comes as .MSI installer and has
    uninstaller.

    http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/

    It does minimal registry changes and I know of no system file changes
    (but I could be wrong). If you want to put a program written in python
    on a workstation you don't have to put python on it. Use py2exe to
    package it and create an installer with Inno Setup.

    -Larry
  • Mistral at Aug 31, 2006 at 9:29 am

    Larry Bates ?????(?):

    mistral wrote:
    hg ?????(?):
    Grant Edwards wrote:
[...]

    ok, I just want run Python file, which will generate html file.

    mistral
  • Larry Bates at Sep 1, 2006 at 10:05 pm

    mistral wrote:
    Larry Bates ?????(?):
    mistral wrote:
    hg ?????(?):
    Grant Edwards wrote:
[...]

    py2exe removes the need to install python on a computer. It packages
    up your program in a way so that it can be installed as basically a
    stand-alone application. It will include the pythonxx.dll that is
    needed, but not all the other support functions. Add Inno Setup
    to bundle the py2exe files that are needed and you get a single
    setup.exe file that can be run to install your application on the
    computer WITHOUT installing python at all.

    -Larry Bates
  • Mistral at Aug 31, 2006 at 9:30 am

    Larry Bates ?????(?):

    mistral wrote:
[...]