I am using Python IDLE 2.4.3 on Windows XP. I use File->New Window
to create a new program. In the Save As dialog, it always takes me to
the python program directory (where python is installed). Since this
is not where I want to save my source file, I have to select the
directory I want.

Is there a way that I can have python always bring up the Save As
dialog pointing to the directory of my choice? In other words, I
would like to specify what I want the default directory for saving
files to be.

In addition, is there a way to get IDLE to add the extension .py to
the file name in the Save As dialog without my having to type it each
time?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Search Discussions

  • BartlebyScrivener at Jul 4, 2006 at 9:19 pm
    JohnJohn wrote>
    Is there a way that I can have python always bring up the Save As
    dialog pointing to the directory of my choice? In other words, I
    would like to specify what I want the default directory for saving
    files to be.
    I use PythonWin, not IDLE. But I suspect you could use the same trick.
    Create a shortcut on your desktop for starting IDLE. (find idle.py or
    idle.bat, right click, send shortcut to desktop).

    Now go to the desktop, right click on the idle shortcut, and fill in
    the slot that says "Start In" with the directory where you save your
    Python scripts.

    Hope that helps.

    rd

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedJul 4, '06 at 6:42a
activeJul 4, '06 at 9:19p
websitepython.org

2 users in discussion

JohnJohnUSA: 1 post BartlebyScrivener: 1 post