Is there a way to interact with Windows Media Player from Python? I would
like to be able to do things like tell WMP to play a given sound file or to
ask WMP for metadata about a sound file.
--
Jeffrey Barish

Search Discussions

  • Avizoa at Jul 3, 2006 at 3:47 pm

    Jeffrey Barish wrote:
    Is there a way to interact with Windows Media Player from Python? I would
    like to be able to do things like tell WMP to play a given sound file or to
    ask WMP for metadata about a sound file.
    --
    Jeffrey Barish

    The fact of the matter is that python doesn't need to ask WMP for the
    metadata. Python can get the metadata from the file itself and then
    tell the computer to play the file.

    If you're looking to do something more complicated, try PyMedia or even
    download wxPython and take a look at the examples. There's an embedded
    WMP example.

    By the way, someone has most likely made a module specifically for
    reading the metadata from many types of music files, but I don't have
    time to look. Maybe someone else can point you in the right direction.
    For telling WMP to play the file you want one of the os.exec variants.
  • Lawrence Oluyede at Jul 4, 2006 at 12:37 am

    Jeffrey Barish wrote:

    Is there a way to interact with Windows Media Player from Python? I would
    like to be able to do things like tell WMP to play a given sound file or to
    ask WMP for metadata about a sound file.
    Take a look at pywinauto, I attended the today talk at EP2006 and seemed
    really cool. http://pywinauto.pbwiki.com

    --
    Lawrence - http://www.oluyede.org/blog
    "Nothing is more dangerous than an idea

    Take a look at pywinauto, I attended the today talk at EP2006 and seemed
    really cool. http://pywinauto.pbwiki.com

    Cool, that looks really interesting.

    ...theres a problem I could solve with that....
  • Roger Upole at Jul 4, 2006 at 6:35 am
    Is there a way to interact with Windows Media Player from Python? I would
    like to be able to do things like tell WMP to play a given sound file or to
    ask WMP for metadata about a sound file.
    --
    Jeffrey Barish
    WMP can be automated using COM:

    import win32com.client

    w=win32com.client.gencache.EnsureDispatch('WMPlayer.OCX',0)
    pl=w.playlistCollection.getByName('All Music')[0]
    s=pl[0]
    print s.name, s.duration
    w.currentMedia=s

    Roger