Hello All,
I am creating a socket connection in order to read and write to a
location. My problem is,the gui becomes unresponsive if the socket
times out.
I know that a good solution is to have the socket read and write with
a thread. However, I have tried this and have a problem where ONLY on
linux does the program crash, it DOES NOT crash on windows xp. I have
been trying to figure out why for about a week and have just given up.
Instead, I am now tryign to use wx.Yield() which will allow the gui
to be updated. However, during timeouts, the gui still hangs.

Does anybody have any clever ideas on how I could call the function
wx.Yield() during a timeout so that the GUI stays responsive? I have
already tried timers, and they dont work.

thanks for your help,
Kiran

Search Discussions

  • Frank Millman at Jun 22, 2006 at 6:01 am

    Kiran wrote:
    Hello All,
    I am creating a socket connection in order to read and write to a
    location. My problem is,the gui becomes unresponsive if the socket
    times out.
    I know that a good solution is to have the socket read and write with
    a thread. However, I have tried this and have a problem where ONLY on
    linux does the program crash, it DOES NOT crash on windows xp. I have
    been trying to figure out why for about a week and have just given up.
    You must have a bug in your threading code. I am doing something
    similar to what you describe, and it works perfectly, on Windows and on
    Linux.

    Threading *is* the correct approach for what you are attempting. Don't
    give up. Try to isolate where the crash happens, and post the relevant
    section of code here. If I can't spot the error, there is a good chance
    someone else will.

    Frank Millman

grouppython-list @
categoriespython