[Matt at bag.python.org wrote]
Hi Everybody,

If I were to use Komodo to write in Python, would it add a lot of goo to my
code such that I would not be able to switch to another IDE without having to
claw my way out of a tarpit first?
Nope. Komodo adds no goo to your code (TM).
TM's my name, not a trademark on "Komodo adds no goo to your code" --
but I'm thinking about it. :)

Perhaps you are thinking of some of the C/C++ IDEs (like Visual Studio
on Windows and Xcode on the Mac) that will help you setup of projects
using their build systems that sometimes imply a number of standard
files. Komodo doesn't mandate a build system.
Any other thoughts on Komodo? I am considering it because I am hoping to find
a solution to the install-packages-until-you-go-blind aspect of Python.
Setting up a serious, cross-platform, gui development environment is quite a
struggle for a newbie.
Not sure about the "install-packages-until-you-go-blind" thing. Komodo
doesn't help you install packages into your Python implementation. Nor
does Komodo have front-ends to py2app or py2exe for wrapping up Python
code into standalone executables.

GUI development, however. Komodo's GUI Builder is intended to be a GUI
designer for simple Tkinter-based UIs. It does mandate a certain style
for your *GUI* code, but I believe that all GUI designers need to do
this.

Because I work on Komodo I am biased, so won't give you an opinion on it
relative to other tools out there.

Cheers,
Trent

--
Trent Mick
TrentM at ActiveState.com

Search Discussions

  • Ravi Teja at Feb 18, 2006 at 2:41 am

    Not sure about the "install-packages-until-you-go-blind" thing. Komodo
    doesn't help you install packages into your Python implementation. Nor
    I think he is confusing with Visual Package Manager.
    Matt, in most cases, installing packages in Python is about as easy as
    it gets. As a newbie, you should stick to binary packages at first. And
    installing is simple as clicking through an installer or typing "python
    setup.py install" in most cases.
  • F. Petitjean at Feb 18, 2006 at 2:20 pm
    Le Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:14:26 -0800, Trent Mick a ?crit :
    Nope. Komodo adds no goo to your code (TM).
    TM's my name, not a trademark on "Komodo adds no goo to your code" --
    but I'm thinking about it. :)
    +1 JOTW (Joke of the week)
    Cheers,
    Trent
  • Jarek Zgoda at Feb 19, 2006 at 11:18 am

    Matt Trivisonno napisa?(a):

    Any other thoughts on Komodo? I am considering it because I am hoping to find
    a solution to the install-packages-until-you-go-blind aspect of Python.
    Setting up a serious, cross-platform, gui development environment is quite a
    struggle for a newbie.
    Komodo is nice and plays well with programmer, although it's still an
    editor with few additions, available elsewhere for free (i.e. in PyDev
    or even in "advanced editors" like jEdit or Kate).
  • Peter Decker at Feb 20, 2006 at 3:27 am