I am in the process of creating an app that runs on various PDA
platforms. Currently I have it running on ARM Linux (Sharp Zaurus) and
am starting to port it over to ARM Windows Mobile (Dell Axim). Using
Python has made the task particularly easier and (dare I say it?) kind
of fun. What about porting it over to Palm OS (Palm Tungsten)? Is it
worth it in your collective opinion long-term?

Checking Python releases targeted for Palm OS I see most of these are a
little long in the tooth. For example Pippy uses Python v1.5 I believe.
All of the projects targeted for Palm OS are great and extend Python's
usefulness for sure. But what about their functionality on newer Palm
OS releases such as the Tungsten's? I am mainly looking for xmlrpc
calls being passed to an external server using wif-fi and using a
widget set. Figuring I am locked into Palm's own widget set. Is it
worth it to go to all of this trouble if Palm OS appears to be losing
market share and new Palm hardware devices are running Windows Mobile?

Search Discussions

  • Mike Meyer at Jan 14, 2006 at 9:41 pm

    "gregarican" <greg.kujawa at gmail.com> writes:

    I am in the process of creating an app that runs on various PDA
    platforms. Currently I have it running on ARM Linux (Sharp Zaurus) and
    am starting to port it over to ARM Windows Mobile (Dell Axim). Using
    Python has made the task particularly easier and (dare I say it?) kind
    of fun.
    On an unrelated topic, you might take a look at Symbian
    devices. They've released a version of Python 2.3 for it.

    <mike
    --
    Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/