My question will sound daft to the good old craftsmen, but they will
excuse my nescience on the subject. I come new to the Pythonic world
from the land of .NET languages, VB6 and some familiarity in C and C++.

I just read about wxWindows last night. From my understanding, it is a
GUI framework like MFC that lets you create UI apps with ease calling a
standard set of API accross multiple platforms (unlike MFC) and if the
Windows port is complementary to MFC in that it shields you from
calling the Win32 API directly.

However, I do not understand its correlation with Python. The
documentation page says, "wxWindows 2.4.2: A portable C++ and Python
GUI toolkit." So, my question is, "How is wxWindows related to Python?"

Search Discussions

  • Brett Hoerner at Oct 2, 2005 at 1:53 am
    I guess it is referring to the closely related (maybe even same dev
    group? I don't know why the wxWindows docs would mention Python unless
    they specifically support the wxPython project, too.)

    "wxWindows + Python = wxPython

    wxPython is a Python extension module that provides a set of bindings
    from the wxWindows library to the Python language. In other words, the
    extension module allows Python programers to create instances of
    wxWindows classes and to invoke methods of those classes.

    More from this Chapter:

    ? Using Tkinter

    ? Using PythonWin

    The wxPython extension module attempts to mirror the class hierarchy of
    wxWindows as closely as possible. This means that there is a wxFrame
    class in wxPython that looks, smells, tastes, and acts almost the same
    as the wxFrame class in the C++ version.

    wxPython is close enough to the C++ version that the majority of the
    wxPython documentation is actually annotations to the C++ documentation
    that describe the places where wxPython is different. There is also a
    series of sample programs included, and a series of documentation pages
    that assist the programmer in getting started with wxPython. "
    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/python/excerpts/chpt20/wxpython.html

    http://www.wxpython.org/
  • Jaime Wyant at Oct 2, 2005 at 1:56 am
    That is a reference to wxPython. wxPython is a thin wrapper around
    the wxWidgets c++ library. But really, it has grown quite a bit
    lately and has a bunch of neato widgets that aren't included with
    wxWidgets c++.

    Visit www.wxpython.org.

    jw
    My question will sound daft to the good old craftsmen, but they will
    excuse my nescience on the subject. I come new to the Pythonic world
    from the land of .NET languages, VB6 and some familiarity in C and C++.

    I just read about wxWindows last night. From my understanding, it is a
    GUI framework like MFC that lets you create UI apps with ease calling a
    standard set of API accross multiple platforms (unlike MFC) and if the
    Windows port is complementary to MFC in that it shields you from
    calling the Win32 API directly.

    However, I do not understand its correlation with Python. The
    documentation page says, "wxWindows 2.4.2: A portable C++ and Python
    GUI toolkit." So, my question is, "How is wxWindows related to Python?"

  • Benji York at Oct 2, 2005 at 1:57 am

    Sathyaish wrote:
    However, I do not understand its correlation with Python. The
    documentation page says, "wxWindows 2.4.2: A portable C++ and Python
    GUI toolkit." So, my question is, "How is wxWindows related to Python?"
    "Pure" wxWindows (actually it's been renamed wxWidgets at the demand of
    Microsoft) is for C++. You're looking for wxPython: http://wxpython.org/
    --
    Benji York
  • Sathyaish at Oct 2, 2005 at 2:08 am