On 1997/06/05 Peter Henning wrote:
SMB, ldap, imap4rev1

Is there an SMB library? I want to be able to access SMB shares
from python, or publish shares onto a network neighbourhood from
a python server. If anyone has implemented SMB in python, could
you point me to the code? Otherwise, would like Samba be a good
starting-point for implementing a python SMB module?
I was wondering if there are any news on this topic... Anyway, I have a
project to do, and it is about implementing a SMB server on the client
machine that translates other protocols to SMB (ftp, for example). So,
for example, the site ftp.openbsd.org could be viewed in \\My Network
Places\FTP Networks (or whatever). There are two posible solutions:

The first is to implement a SMB server on the client machine. Maybe
this one is't the most effective way to do this, but anyway, in this
case I'll need a smb module. If anyone could help me, I'd be glad. If I
can't do this in Python, and there are other programming languages that
support this option, please tell me.

The second option is to create a virtual drive and map the network
content into it. Even in this case, i can share it only to be visible
in My Network Places, but it isn't the point. To create a virtual
drive, I have to study the partition table of virtual drives, and even
then, I know only one virtual drive module, in C. But I'd be happy if
you coud tell me something useful on this option.

Anyway, if you know a third option, that is better than these, or if
you think you know, wich one of these is better, just let me know. This
is the harder part of my project and I can't get out of it. It is a
simple cross-platform file sharing protocol for my mature exam work.
The linux-part is done, so all I need is to do the Windows stuff. I'm
new in Windows programming, and I'm helpless, so any ideas are
welcome...

Search Discussions

  • Atila Olah at Sep 12, 2005 at 9:37 pm
    Oops, I forgot to look at my old topic. Some of you mentioned CIFS. I
    was away from home for a while and now I'm on my job, again. Soth the
    Network Neighborhood thing isn't a problem. Now I know, that probably
    it would be better to use CIFS rather than a virtual filesystem. I just
    need to read through this CIFS thing, so I'll Google for tutorials and
    look at samba.org/cifs but if you have a better idea, just let me know.
    Sorry for being so careless and not caring obout my old topic. Now at
    least I have some waypoints, and know that I have nothing to do with
    Windows' kernel. All I have to look after is the smb module, even if
    not in python.
  • Larry Bates at Sep 13, 2005 at 8:39 pm
    You might want to take a look at Webdrive (www.webdrive.com).
    It does what I "think" you are describing for ftp, http,
    https, and WebDAV.

    -Larry Bates

    Atila Olah wrote:
[...]

  • Atila Olah at Sep 14, 2005 at 7:24 pm
    Thank you, Larry, I'm figuring out things right now.
  • Atila Olah at Sep 14, 2005 at 7:24 pm
    Thank you, Larry, I'm figuring out the things right now.