I have designed a project, gvpnc, that I think would be useful to the
folks out there who use GNOME and want a GNOME app to VPN into their
office with. It is simple, yes, but it works well (at least on my
Ubuntu 5.04). It is a front-end to the vpnc tool for Linux.

There is kvpnc, so I thought I would call it gvpnc.

I really am too tied up with day job and large moonlight projects right
now to post this on SourceForge, improve it, and so on. If you would
like to take my weekend's worth of work and put it up on SourceForge
and "own" it, I would greatly appreciate it.

I designed the interface in Glade-2, saved as XML, then use a single,
short, easy-to-read Python file to load this interface, display the
GUI, and handle events. I thank the folks at RedHat with their control
applets for leaving me enough breadcrumbs to figure out how to make
this stuff.

Please reply back to this forum with why you would be interested, show
me your SourceForge track record, and a way to reach you. If you
qualify and get this to me in time, you may be the proud recipient of
the gvpnc source that I can sign over to you to own, manage, and grow.
As for me, I'm happy with my copy -- it suits me well. The project is
released on the GNU Artistic License, so you could list my copyright
and then follow it with yours. I have no other requirements.

Future improvements could be:

* There's a way to make a self-executing compressed install on Linux.
This might be suitable. Also, a DEB or RPM would be helpful.

* Error checking for different distro's, telling people what they are
missing before installation.

* If there's a way to wrap all the images, python script, and Glade-2
interface into a single file that decompresses into a RAM partition,
that would make a slick way to produce a smaller footprint for this
application.

* Support for multiple profiles, rather than just remembering the last
one.

* Ability to switch from TCP to UDP and/or pick the socket port.

* Minimizes into a GNOME notification icon.

* Warns you when 25 (or x) minutes of idle time have come up.

* Integration with "festival" speech or sound events.

Cheers.