I am writing a Python script that uses the win32all winsound package to
play a .wav file. I the sound come out of the left hand speaker, but
not the right hand speaker.

I've look at some Python sound libraries (PySonic, Audiere, pygame), as
well as any number of command line .wav file players. For differing
reasons, none of these were suitable. Two possiblities are:

(a) Convert the mono .WAV file to a stereo .WAV file that plays out of
the left speaker only, or

(b) Use the win32 ActiveX to adjust the Windows sound output balance
all the way to the left.

Can anybody offer suggestions as to where to start with these two? Does
anybody have other solutions to suggest?

Alan.

Search Discussions

  • Alan Green at Jul 18, 2005 at 11:03 pm

    Alan Green wrote:
    I am writing a Python script that uses the win32all winsound package to
    play a .wav file. I [need] the sound come out of the left hand speaker, but
    not the right hand speaker.
    I eventually got out ctypes and used it to access the Windows
    multi-media libraries. ctypes is completely amazing, especially with
    the code generator to turn the windows C header files into Python
    functions and constants.

    Just yesterday I discovered PyMedia, and will have to have a play with
    that, too.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedJul 12, '05 at 12:54a