Sorry to bother you folks with a real newbie question, but I am sure that
this is the place for me to ask.

Python 1.5.1 (final) and Python Win32 Extensions are installed on my 4 year
old computer. My computer has always been upgraded to include the latest
programs and Windows updates.

However, I have NEVER upgraded Python? Therefore, my questions:

1. Should I upgrade to the new Python 2.4.1 (Final)?

2. If so, should I uninstall the old version first and reboot, or can I
just install the new version over the old version?

3. Are the Win32 extensions included in the final version, or are the
extensions a separate download?

I do not use Python, but I am assuming that something on my computer must.
LOL.

Thank you for any enlightenment you can render.

Elliot

Search Discussions

  • Thorsten Kampe at Jul 10, 2005 at 12:05 pm
    * El (2005-07-10 11:56 +0100)
    Sorry to bother you folks with a real newbie question, but I am sure that
    this is the place for me to ask.

    Python 1.5.1 (final) and Python Win32 Extensions are installed on my 4 year
    old computer. My computer has always been upgraded to include the latest
    programs and Windows updates.

    However, I have NEVER upgraded Python?
    Is that a question?
    Therefore, my questions:

    1. Should I upgrade to the new Python 2.4.1 (Final)? No, why?
    2. If so, should I uninstall the old version first and reboot, or can I
    just install the new version over the old version? No.
    3. Are the Win32 extensions included in the final version, or are the
    extensions a separate download? No, yes.
    I do not use Python, but I am assuming that something on my computer must.
    LOL.
    If you don't use it: uninstall Python. If something else uses it: keep
    it as it is as your app might break with the new Python - even though
    2.4 is backwards compatible.
  • Peter Hansen at Jul 10, 2005 at 2:16 pm

    Thorsten Kampe wrote:
    * El (2005-07-10 11:56 +0100)
    Python 1.5.1 (final) and Python Win32 Extensions are installed on my 4 year
    If you don't use it: uninstall Python. If something else uses it: keep
    it as it is as your app might break with the new Python - even though
    2.4 is backwards compatible.
    Python 2.4 is most definitely not 100% backwards compatible with Python
    1.5.1, so "don't upgrade!" is correct advice if Python is in use by some
    application that expects it to be 1.5.1...

    -Peter

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedJul 10, '05 at 10:56a