cheers,
--
Stewart Midwinter
stewart at midwinter.ca
stewart.midwinter at gmail.com
Skype: midtoad

Search Discussions

  • Kartic at Apr 26, 2005 at 11:22 pm

    The Great 'Stewart Midwinter' uttered these words on 4/26/2005 6:18 PM:
    I'm starting up a new website for a small community of local sports
    enthusiasts. I want to be able to create pages of information easily
    (i.e. a content management system), but also allow for discussion on
    multiple topics (i.e. a forum). Numerous people should be able to log
    in and create or update content, under the guidance of an admin
    naturally.

    Call me perverse, but I don't want to use phpBB for the forum. I'm
    not seeing anything available in Python though - except for Karrigell.
    is that the only option, or am I missing something?
    Dear Stewart,

    http://snakelets.sourceforge.net/frog/index.html - "Frog - a Python Web
    Logging tool".

    I have no experience with Snakelets or CherryPy. Apparently you can run
    Snakelets behind your existing webserver, so integrating it should be
    rather straight forward. You can probably proxy requests to the blog
    piece to the Snakelets process, while the rest of your site is served by
    CherryPY.

    Googling "Python Web Logging Application" brought up
    http://www.kryogenix.org/code/vellum/ as well.

    Thanks,
    -Kartic
  • Stewart Midwinter at Apr 27, 2005 at 1:32 am
    thanks Kartic. I use Frog already at my office. For this particular
    application, its design may not be appropriate, since each user gets
    her own blog space. I'm actually after a community blog, where any one
    of the registered users can post an item, or discuss on a forum.

    Drupal, from http://drupal.org, seems to do exactly what I want, except
    it's written in php.

    Thanks for the tip on Vellum. I'd like to find a few sites using it, so
    I can see it in action.

  • Irmen de Jong at Apr 27, 2005 at 1:49 am

    stewart.midwinter at gmail.com wrote:
    thanks Kartic. I use Frog already at my office. For this particular
    application, its design may not be appropriate, since each user gets
    her own blog space. I'm actually after a community blog, where any one
    of the registered users can post an item, or discuss on a forum.
    It doesn't help you now but something like this is being
    considered for the next major version of Frog (2.x)...
    It will take a while before it's done though, so in the
    meantime you have to look for something else.

    --Irmen
  • Stewart Midwinter at Apr 27, 2005 at 3:25 am
    thx Irmen. Frog is good at what it does, and of course it can't do
    everything (not yet, anyway! :-) ) But it's interesting to note your
    future directions for the project.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedApr 26, '05 at 10:18p