Newbie question: Looking through my stack of books and various on-line
references, I have seen several libraries and library functions listed
as depreciated.

Is there a road map or concrete list of what parts of the standard
library are to be considered reliable and permanent? Coming from C, I
am used to library functions being set in stone.

Can I reasonably expect that code using, for instance xml.dom.minidom
will still work in 10 years?

Do all depreciated libraries print warnings when they are imported? I
see that if I print xmllib, I get the message "The xmllib module is
obsolete. Use xml.sax instead." Is this behavior followed
consistently, to give a "this code might not work come this time next
year" warning?

Search Discussions

  • Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou at Apr 18, 2005 at 4:07 pm
    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:43:15 -0400, rumours say that "steve.leach"
    <stevenaleach at mac.com> might have written:
    Newbie question: Looking through my stack of books and various on-line
    references, I have seen several libraries and library functions listed
    as depreciated.

    Is there a road map or concrete list of what parts of the standard
    library are to be considered reliable and permanent? Coming from C, I
    am used to library functions being set in stone.
    [snip]

    You didn't mention any reading of PEP 4 (which would be obvious by a
    simple google search), so take a look at this:

    http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0004.html
    --
    TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best.

grouppython-list @