  • James at Mar 23, 2005 at 10:08 pm
    Fran?ois Pinard emailed me that my posting of the link with no
    explanation appeared rude.

    So here is a some information.

    IronPython is a Python implementation targeting the .NET and Mono
    platforms from the same person who brought us Jython, Jim Hugunin. MS
    hired Jim since the first release (0.6) and this is the first and
    eagerly awaited release since then.

    Now if I hear something about the state of StarKiller, it would make my
    day complete :-).
    From the release....
    IronPython is the code name of the early pre-alpha preview release of
    the new Implementation Running on .NET of the Python programming
    language. The .NET Framework is a managed programming model for
    Windows; Microsoft standardized part of it in ECMA several years ago
    as the Common Language Infrastructure and C# Language Specification
    standards.

    IronPython is fast - up to 1.8x faster than Python-2.4 on the standard
    pystone benchmark. It supports an interactive interpreter with fully
    dynamic compilation. It is well integrated with the rest of the
    framework and makes all .NET libraries easily available to Python
    programmers.

    IronPython 0.7 is a pre-alpha release. It is suitable for experimenting
    and playing with; however, a large amount of testing, packaging and
    library development remains to be done before a production-quality
    IronPython-1.0. We want to be sure to release IronPython in this early
    state in order to encourage feedback and discussion in the community of
    IronPython's features and designs as early as possible so that we can
    incorporate that into the 1.0 design.

    Also see
    Boo
    Boo is a new object oriented statically typed programming language for
    the Common Language Infrastructure with a python inspired syntax and a
    special focus on language and compiler extensibility.
    http://boo.codehaus.org/

    Python for .NET
    Python for .NET is a near-seamless integration of the Python runtime
    with the .NET Common Language Runtime (CLR). It lets you script and
    build applications in Python, using CLR services and components written
    in any language that targets the CLR (C#, Managed C++, VB.NET, etc.).
    www.zope.org/Members/Brian/PythonNet

    James.
  • Do Re Mi chel La Si Do at Mar 23, 2005 at 10:14 pm
    Hi !

    I am curious :

    1) I can't download the file ("error in the GotDotNet system").
    2) On http://ironpython.com, there are no new version

    @-salutations
    --
    Michel Claveau
  • Robin Becker at Mar 23, 2005 at 11:01 pm

    Do Re Mi chel La Si Do wrote:
    Hi !

    I am curious :

    1) I can't download the file ("error in the GotDotNet system").
    2) On http://ironpython.com, there are no new version
    I'm also a bit puzzled that www.ironpython.com has no mention of this
    release.
    Curious that J Hugunin didn't announce it himself.
    --
    Robin Becker
  • Benjamin Niemann at Mar 23, 2005 at 11:27 pm

    Robin Becker wrote:

    Do Re Mi chel La Si Do wrote:
    Hi !

    I am curious :

    1) I can't download the file ("error in the GotDotNet system").
    2) On http://ironpython.com, there are no new version
    I'm also a bit puzzled that www.ironpython.com has no mention of this
    release.
    Curious that J Hugunin didn't announce it himself.
    Jim Hugunin announced it himself in a keynote at PyCon. You can read a lot
    about it on Python centric blogs - just one example:
    http://www.postneo.com/2005/03/23/keynote-ironpython

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de

    Benjamin Niemann wrote:
    Robin Becker wrote:
    I'm also a bit puzzled that www.ironpython.com has no mention of this
    release.
    Curious that J Hugunin didn't announce it himself.
    Jim Hugunin announced it himself in a keynote at PyCon. You can read a lot
    about it on Python centric blogs - just one example:
    http://www.postneo.com/2005/03/23/keynote-ironpython
    well that's nice, but I don't do blogs and certainly don't do M$
    Passport logins which it seems the gotdotnet site requires.

    --
    Robin Becker
  • Ville Vainio at Mar 24, 2005 at 6:57 am
    "Robin" == Robin Becker <robin at SPAMREMOVEjessikat.fsnet.co.uk> writes:
    Robin> well that's nice, but I don't do blogs and certainly don't

    You don't need to "do" much - just go to planetpython.org
  • Benjamin Niemann at Mar 24, 2005 at 3:25 pm

    writes:
    Robin> well that's nice, but I don't do blogs and certainly don't

    You don't need to "do" much - just go to planetpython.org
    Or check out the Daily Python URL (http://www.pythonware.com/daily/) which
    has a pretty high signal to noise ratio.

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de

    Benjamin Niemann wrote:
    Robin Becker wrote:
    I'm also a bit puzzled that www.ironpython.com has no mention of this
    release.
    Curious that J Hugunin didn't announce it himself.
    Jim Hugunin announced it himself in a keynote at PyCon. You can read
    a lot
    about it on Python centric blogs - just one example:
    http://www.postneo.com/2005/03/23/keynote-ironpython
    well that's nice, but I don't do blogs and certainly don't do M$
    Passport logins which it seems the gotdotnet site requires.
    Robin - we're too old for blogs ;-)

    But I could download the thingie with Mozilla without logging in into
    somewhere - although the bug tracker seems to require login.

    Thomas
  • Robin Becker at Mar 24, 2005 at 8:06 am
    well that's nice, but I don't do blogs and certainly don't do M$
    Passport logins which it seems the gotdotnet site requires.

    Robin - we're too old for blogs ;-)

    But I could download the thingie with Mozilla without logging in into
    somewhere - although the bug tracker seems to require login.

    Thomas
    yes, but the simple download is a bit bare, I was hoping to find out
    more and then the passport login seems to come into play. Is there no
    other homepage somewhere? I assumed wsa www.ironpython.com, but that
    seems a bit out of date now. The mailing list seems to go to end of
    February so was looking for some recent back and forth.
    --
    Robin Becker
  • Robert Kern at Mar 24, 2005 at 8:12 am

    Robin Becker wrote:

    yes, but the simple download is a bit bare, I was hoping to find out
    more and then the passport login seems to come into play. Is there no
    other homepage somewhere? I assumed wsa www.ironpython.com, but that
    seems a bit out of date now. The mailing list seems to go to end of
    February so was looking for some recent back and forth.
    Jim has a predilection towards keeping mum for a while so he can make
    big announcements at his conference talks. Once you know that about his
    character, the rest falls into place.

    --
    Robert Kern
    rkern at ucsd.edu

    -- Richard Harter
  • Robin Becker at Mar 24, 2005 at 8:36 am

    Robert Kern wrote:
    Robin Becker wrote:
    yes, but the simple download is a bit bare, I was hoping to find out
    more and then the passport login seems to come into play. Is there no
    other homepage somewhere? I assumed wsa www.ironpython.com, but that
    seems a bit out of date now. The mailing list seems to go to end of
    February so was looking for some recent back and forth.

    Jim has a predilection towards keeping mum for a while so he can make
    big announcements at his conference talks. Once you know that about his
    character, the rest falls into place.
    apparently he announced at 1800 PST on the list, but I note he's
    directing bug reports to the gotdotnet site :(

    I just have this thing about M$ and passport etc etc
    --
    Robin Becker
  • Josef Meile at Mar 24, 2005 at 10:10 am

    well that's nice, but I don't do blogs and certainly don't do M$
    Passport logins which it seems the gotdotnet site requires.
    I agree, even for reading the FAQ and the Readme you need a password :-(
  • Ville Vainio at Mar 23, 2005 at 10:16 pm