I have a Python program that collects user input using

msg = "Enter the full path and name of the file to be processed: "
answer = raw_input(msg)

If I run it in IDLE, the question is splashed across the execution
window, and if it is long, simply wraps to the next line. Most
importantly, it is intelligible, because I see the entire message. I
enter my answer on the next line, and once again, I can see the entire
path and file name, even if it is longer than long.

However, if I run it in ActivePython's PythonWin, a small message box
pops up, with hardly any space to diplay msg and a smallish space into
which I can type my answer. How can I force PythonWin to get its input
from the execution window or to enlarge its message box sufficiently to
display the entire question?

Thomas Philips

Search Discussions

  • Colin J. Williams at Mar 12, 2005 at 10:59 pm

    tkpmep at hotmail.com wrote:
    I have a Python program that collects user input using

    msg = "Enter the full path and name of the file to be processed: "
    answer = raw_input(msg)

    If I run it in IDLE, the question is splashed across the execution
    window, and if it is long, simply wraps to the next line. Most
    importantly, it is intelligible, because I see the entire message. I
    enter my answer on the next line, and once again, I can see the entire
    path and file name, even if it is longer than long.

    However, if I run it in ActivePython's PythonWin, a small message box
    pops up, with hardly any space to diplay msg and a smallish space into
    which I can type my answer. How can I force PythonWin to get its input
    from the execution window or to enlarge its message box sufficiently to
    display the entire question?

    Thomas Philips
    You might try out the PythonWin from:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_idx018

    Build 203 is the current version, build 204 is expected.

    Colin W.
  • Neil Hodgson at Mar 12, 2005 at 11:42 pm

    Thomas Philips:

    However, if I run it in ActivePython's PythonWin, a small message
    box pops up, with hardly any space to diplay msg and a smallish
    space into which I can type my answer. How can I force PythonWin
    to get its input from the execution window
    You will have to implement the feature which looks to me like much
    work which is why it wasn't done that way by default.
    or to enlarge its message box sufficiently to display the entire
    question?
    The dialog is included as a binary resource in a DLL, win32ui.pyd.
    You could get the source code, change the dialog resource and recompile
    PythonWin. Another approach would be to manipulate the dialog and
    control sizes after creation in pythonwin/pywin/mfc/dialog.py
    GetSimpleInput().

    Neil
  • Larry Bates at Mar 14, 2005 at 9:41 pm

    tkpmep at hotmail.com wrote:
    I have a Python program that collects user input using

    msg = "Enter the full path and name of the file to be processed: "
    answer = raw_input(msg)

    If I run it in IDLE, the question is splashed across the execution
    window, and if it is long, simply wraps to the next line. Most
    importantly, it is intelligible, because I see the entire message. I
    enter my answer on the next line, and once again, I can see the entire
    path and file name, even if it is longer than long.

    However, if I run it in ActivePython's PythonWin, a small message box
    pops up, with hardly any space to diplay msg and a smallish space into
    which I can type my answer. How can I force PythonWin to get its input
    from the execution window or to enlarge its message box sufficiently to
    display the entire question?

    Thomas Philips
    Take a look at the following sample program. It will allow you to
    browse to the file that you want to open.

    import win32ui
    import sys
    f=win32ui.CreateFileDialog(1, None, "*.txt", 0, 'Text Files|||')
    x=f.SetOFNInitialDir("C:\\")
    f.SetOFNTitle("Open Text File")
    result=f.DoModal()
    if result == win32con.IDCANCEL: sys.exit()
    print "path selected=", f.GetPathName()
    print "Filename selected=", f.GetFileName()

    Hope it helps.

    -Larry Bates

grouppython-list @
categoriespython