I am trying to use win32net on a Windows 2000 Japanese system, and
discover that it won't import. I found a message describing the
problem (see below) but can't find any response, and don't see a bug
report on the SourceForge site for this. . Can anyone tell me if
this has ben fixed? An early message in 2000 said that win32net is
supposed to run on Windows 2000

I find the same problem reported, with more detail, on the py2exe
user list, where Thomas Heller commented on 2004-08-26 :
Here"s the rest of the trackback:
File "netbios.pyc", line 1, in ?
File "win32wnet.pyc", line 9, in ?
File "win32wnet.pyc", line 7, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.
The procedure entry point LsaLookupNames2 could not be located in the
dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll

This looks like the win32net Python extension requires the
LsaLookupNames2 function in ADVAPI32, but this is only available in
WinXP and Win2003 Server, according to MSDN, preventing to use win32net
on win2k. You should report this to Mark Hammond, and maybe use a later
version of pywin32 for now.

Thomas

Search Discussions

  • Kartic at Jan 27, 2005 at 9:29 pm
    Thomas,

    I have a Win2K machine and win32net imports just fine.

    Here is what I did - started python shell with the -v switch and
    imported win32net. This is what it says:
    py>>> import win32net
    # c:\python24\lib\encodings\cp437.pyc matches
    c:\python24\lib\encodings\cp437.py
    import encodings.cp437 # precompiled from
    c:\python24\lib\encodings\cp437.pyc
    import win32net # dynamically loaded from
    C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\win32\win32net.pyd

    I tried this on Python 2.4, pywin32 build 203 and Win2k Version
    5.00.2195 SP 4.

    What version of Python are you using? Do you have the Python-version
    corresponding version of the pywin32 extensions installed?

    Another item you may want to check is if your PYTHONPATH is correct.
    Are you able to import other win32 components correctly, for example,
    win32com.client? Here is my Pythonpath:
    c:\python24;c:\python24\lib;c:\python24\scripts;C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\wi
    n32;C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\win32\lib;C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\Python
    win;C:\WorkArea\Python

    /
    Thanks,
    --Kartic