along with my distribution SuSE 9.1 came python 2.3.3.

I'd like to update to 2.4 now, is this an easy thing to do
or will lots of installed modules refuse to work then?

Is there an easy way to find out what i need to update?

Thanks for any hints,
Torsten.

Search Discussions

  • Peter Maas at Jan 10, 2005 at 7:48 am

    Torsten Mohr schrieb:
    along with my distribution SuSE 9.1 came python 2.3.3.

    I'd like to update to 2.4 now, is this an easy thing to do
    or will lots of installed modules refuse to work then?

    Is there an easy way to find out what i need to update?
    I uninstalled 2.3.3 and compiled/installed 2.4 from source.
    Now there is a problem: each time I change my system, SuSE tries
    to reinstall 2.3.3 because of dependencies. I tried to mark
    SuSE-Python as tabu (taboo?) but this it isn't stored. Not sure
    if it is my fault or SuSE's. I'm too lazy to track it down.

    Perhaps you can do a regular upgrade via FTP. I didn't try that.

    Peter Maas, M+R Infosysteme, D-52070 Aachen, Tel +49-241-93878-0
  • David Fraser at Jan 10, 2005 at 8:13 am

    Torsten Mohr wrote:
    Hi,

    along with my distribution SuSE 9.1 came python 2.3.3.

    I'd like to update to 2.4 now, is this an easy thing to do
    or will lots of installed modules refuse to work then?

    Is there an easy way to find out what i need to update?

    Thanks for any hints,
    Torsten.
    What you probably want to do is install python2.4 alongside python2.3.3
    as an alternate installation, since a lot of other programs in SuSE
    probably depend on having python2.3.3 and won't work with the upgrade.

    Have a look at the RPMs on the python 2.4 downloads page and see if you
    can install them OK (I just did this fine for python 2.3 on whitebox linux).

    David
  • Wolfram Kraus at Jan 10, 2005 at 9:18 am
    Heyho!

    Torsten Mohr wrote:
    Hi,

    along with my distribution SuSE 9.1 came python 2.3.3.

    I'd like to update to 2.4 now, is this an easy thing to do or will
    lots of installed modules refuse to work then?
    I installed Python 2.4 under SuSE 9.1 and had no problems so far. If you
    install it via "./configure;make;make install", python 2.4 will be
    installed in /usr/local/lib/python2.4 parallel to your existing 2.3
    installation under /usr/lib/python2.3.
    Is there an easy way to find out what i need to update?
    Just check out, which version comes up when you call "python" from the
    shell. If this is version 2.3 you can start 2.4 with "python2.4"
    All the installed packages for python2.3 (e.g. PIL, MySQLdb, wxPython,
    ...) need to be installed for the new version, too.
    Thanks for any hints, Torsten.
    HTH,
    Wolfram
  • Peter Otten at Jan 11, 2005 at 1:02 pm

    Torsten Mohr wrote:

    along with my distribution SuSE 9.1 came python 2.3.3.

    I'd like to update to 2.4 now, is this an easy thing to do
    or will lots of installed modules refuse to work then?

    Is there an easy way to find out what i need to update?
    I shied away from a full upgrade and installed 2.4 from source just to play
    around with it. This is painless if you use

    make altinstall

    instead of

    make install

    If you want Tkinter support you have to install the tk-devel package before
    configuring 2.4.

    One easy way to find out what depends on python is to mark python for
    removal in yast, then click the [Abh?ngigkeiten pr?fen] (check
    dependencies) button -- and probably cancel the changes afterwards.

    Peter

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedJan 9, '05 at 5:57p