I need to install Python on a number of laptop computers (at least a
dozen). I am needing to install Python 2.4, pycrypto, win32all,
wxPython, and pyCurl. Can anyone tell me an easy way to install these
onto the laptops? Ideally I would like to have a single executable to
handle everything for me. I have also looked into using NSIS to handle
the installation, but am still unaware how to install the modules that
I need easily. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Search Discussions

  • Brolewis at Jan 8, 2005 at 9:48 pm
    For what its worth, I am running Windows XP Pro on all of these
    machines.
  • Simon John at Jan 9, 2005 at 1:01 am

    brolewis wrote:
    I need to install Python on a number of laptop computers (at least a
    dozen). I am needing to install Python 2.4, pycrypto, win32all,
    wxPython, and pyCurl.
    You could try the recently-announced MOVPY, or NSIS/InnoSetup as you
    say.

    Or simply put the five installers on a disk - if it's only a dozen
    machines, it's not going to take long if you don't have to download
    each time. They are simple .exe installers, it's not as if you have to
    compile and deal with dependancies etc. like on Linux.

    I would say install on one machine, then just copy the C:\Python24
    directory, but then you'd have to deal with the missing Registry
    entries....
  • Peter Hansen at Jan 9, 2005 at 2:45 pm

    Simon John wrote:
    I would say install on one machine, then just copy the C:\Python24
    directory, but then you'd have to deal with the missing Registry
    entries....
    That part is pretty trivial to automate as well. Fredrik
    Lundh has a useful utility on his web site that will do much
    of what is required. Google for his name and "python registry"
    to find out more.

    -Peter
  • Steve Holden at Jan 9, 2005 at 3:51 pm

    Peter Hansen wrote:

    Simon John wrote:
    I would say install on one machine, then just copy the C:\Python24
    directory, but then you'd have to deal with the missing Registry
    entries....

    That part is pretty trivial to automate as well. Fredrik
    Lundh has a useful utility on his web site that will do much
    of what is required. Google for his name and "python registry"
    to find out more.
    Hmm, effbot.org seems to be down just now. Sure it'll be back soon, though.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/
    Holden Web LLC +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden wrote:
    Peter Hansen wrote:
    Simon John wrote:
    I would say install on one machine, then just copy the C:\Python24
    directory, but then you'd have to deal with the missing Registry
    entries....

    That part is pretty trivial to automate as well. Fredrik
    Lundh has a useful utility on his web site that will do much
    of what is required. Google for his name and "python registry"
    to find out more.
    Hmm, effbot.org seems to be down just now. Sure it'll be back soon, though.
    Still down, but clicking on the second link in the result,
    on the "cached" link, then on the "cached text only" link
    in the header, will get the relevant source code for you.

    -Peter
  • Fredrik Lundh at Jan 11, 2005 at 8:00 pm

    Steve Holden wrote:

    Hmm, effbot.org seems to be down just now. Sure it'll be back soon, though.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4158809.stm

    </F>
  • Simon Brunning at Jan 12, 2005 at 1:03 pm

    Hmm, effbot.org seems to be down just now. Sure it'll be back soon, though.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4158809.stm
    Good to see that it was effbot.org that was down, rather that the
    effbot himself.

    --
    Cheers,
    Simon B,