for example Control-Alt-ButtonRelease-3 does the same thing.

Has anyone else run into this behavior and have a fix???

TIA,
Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
PGP Key: http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Search Discussions

  • Tim Daneliuk at Jan 7, 2005 at 11:08 pm

    Tim Daneliuk wrote:

    Arrrrrggg. I have a program that runs comfortably across both Unix
    variants
    and Windows ... except .... I wish to bind an Alt-ButtonRelease-3
    combination
    to popup a menu. This works flawlessly under Unix, but with windows,
    the menu appears briefly and then disappears. I'm guessing that Alt
    under windows generates another event that I am not catching and the
    default internal Tk message handler is processing it and causing my
    menu to get destroyed.

    It seems that any combination involving the Alt key has this issue -
    for example Control-Alt-ButtonRelease-3 does the same thing.

    Has anyone else run into this behavior and have a fix???
    I have a partial workaround but the mechanics still mystify me.
    I actually was trying to bind two different popup menus to as follows:

    Alt-ButtonRelease-3 Menu1
    Alt-Control-ButtonRelease-3 Menu2

    This did not work ... so I began to wonder if this was problem
    with Tk using greedy matching with event descriptors. So, I changed
    it as follows:

    Control-ButtonRelease-3 Menu1
    Alt-Control-ButtonRelease-3 Menu2

    This now works fine, BUT ONLY if Alt is pressed *before* Control when popping up
    Menu2. IOW Windows is sensitive to the *order* of Alt being applied where
    Unix is not. Very, very strange ...

    Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
    PGP Key: http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

grouppython-list @