I'm trying to get PyQt up and running under Mac OS X 10.2.8, but
can't get past configuring sip.

I installed fink's qt3-3.2.3-2 and restarted my shells to get
qt3's environment variables QTDIR and QMAKESPEC.

I downloaded sip-4.1 from
http://www.river-bank.demon.co.uk,
unpacked it, ran

python configure.py

and got this error:

Error: /sw/share/qt3/mkspecs/darwin-g++/qmake.conf: macro
'QMAKE_LIBDIR/$(TARGET1)' is not defined.

Any ideas?

Michael

Search Discussions

  • Phil Thompson at Dec 13, 2004 at 10:35 am

    Hi,

    I'm trying to get PyQt up and running under Mac OS X 10.2.8, but
    can't get past configuring sip.

    I installed fink's qt3-3.2.3-2 and restarted my shells to get
    qt3's environment variables QTDIR and QMAKESPEC.

    I downloaded sip-4.1 from
    http://www.river-bank.demon.co.uk,
    unpacked it, ran

    python configure.py

    and got this error:

    Error: /sw/share/qt3/mkspecs/darwin-g++/qmake.conf: macro
    'QMAKE_LIBDIR/$(TARGET1)' is not defined.

    Any ideas?
    The Fink version of Qt isn't officially supported (the native version is),
    although there is a user contributed README.Fink (either with SIP or PyQt,
    can't remember which).

    Phil
  • Kevin Walzer at Dec 13, 2004 at 4:11 pm
    I've assembled a binary installer for the native version of PyQt. See
    http://www.wordtech-software.com/pyqt-mac.html

    I built it on Panther. Not sure if it will work on Jaguar, but you're
    welcome to give it a try.

    Michael McGarry wrote:
    Hi,

    I'm trying to get PyQt up and running under Mac OS X 10.2.8, but
    can't get past configuring sip.

    I installed fink's qt3-3.2.3-2 and restarted my shells to get
    qt3's environment variables QTDIR and QMAKESPEC.

    I downloaded sip-4.1 from
    http://www.river-bank.demon.co.uk,
    unpacked it, ran

    python configure.py

    and got this error:

    Error: /sw/share/qt3/mkspecs/darwin-g++/qmake.conf: macro
    'QMAKE_LIBDIR/$(TARGET1)' is not defined.

    Any ideas?

    Michael

    - --
    Cheers,

    Kevin Walzer, PhD
    WordTech Software--Open Source Applications and Packages for OS X
    http://www.wordtech-software.com
    http://www.smallbizmac.com
    http://www.kevin-walzer.com
    mailto:sw at wordtech-software.com
  • Michael McGarry at Dec 13, 2004 at 11:42 pm

    Kevin,

    thanks that did the trick!!!

    One problem is my Window created in Qt appears underneath all others on
    the screen and focus never goes completely onto this window. Kind of weird.

    Any ideas?

    Michael
  • Glenn andreas at Dec 14, 2004 at 12:11 am
    In article <ONpvd.95971$EZ.74694 at okepread07>,
    Michael McGarry wrote:
    One problem is my Window created in Qt appears underneath all others on
    the screen and focus never goes completely onto this window. Kind of weird.

    Any ideas?
    If the application is not properly bundled you will see symptoms like
    this - perhaps this is the problem?
  • Michael McGarry at Dec 14, 2004 at 2:47 am

    Michael McGarry wrote:

    One problem is my Window created in Qt appears underneath all others on
    the screen and focus never goes completely onto this window. Kind of weird.

    Any ideas?

    If the application is not properly bundled you will see symptoms like
    this - perhaps this is the problem?
    What do you mean?
  • Kevin Walzer at Dec 14, 2004 at 4:12 am

    Michael McGarry wrote:
    Kevin Walzer wrote:

    I've assembled a binary installer for the native version of PyQt. See
    http://www.wordtech-software.com/pyqt-mac.html

    I built it on Panther. Not sure if it will work on Jaguar, but you're
    welcome to give it a try.

    Michael McGarry wrote:
    Hi,

    I'm trying to get PyQt up and running under Mac OS X 10.2.8, but
    can't get past configuring sip.

    I installed fink's qt3-3.2.3-2 and restarted my shells to get
    qt3's environment variables QTDIR and QMAKESPEC.

    I downloaded sip-4.1 from
    http://www.river-bank.demon.co.uk,
    unpacked it, ran

    python configure.py

    and got this error:

    Error: /sw/share/qt3/mkspecs/darwin-g++/qmake.conf: macro
    'QMAKE_LIBDIR/$(TARGET1)' is not defined.

    Any ideas?

    Michael
    Kevin,
    thanks that did the trick!!!
    One problem is my Window created in Qt appears underneath all others on
    the screen and focus never goes completely onto this window. Kind of weird.
    Any ideas?
    Michael
    Michael,

    Are you referring to the application you're developing, or the Eric3 IDE
    that I bundled? I've observed that Eric3 hesitates for a second before
    taking focus, though it eventually does if you click on the window. I've
    observed this with other Qt apps in general, including some of the other
    PyQt apps I've bundled on my own machine.

    If the window never takes focus at all, it might be something as basic
    as starting your application with "python" instead of "pythonw" if you
    are launching it from the command line. You need to use "pythonw" to
    correctly access the windowing system.

    An easy way to start your app wtih the correct python command is simply
    to double-click it instead of running it from terminal. That will
    automatically call pythonw.

    Hope this helps,
    Kevin

    - --

    mailto:sw at wordtech-software.com
  • Whamoo at Dec 14, 2004 at 8:49 am

    Michael McGarry wrote:
    thanks that did the trick!!!

    One problem is my Window created in Qt appears underneath all others on
    the screen and focus never goes completely onto this window. Kind of weird.

    Any ideas?
    You must use pythonw for graphics application =)
    So launch the script with pythonw instead of python ;-)

    --
    Whamoo www.rknet.it
    Powerd by: MacOsX, Gnu/Linux Debian Sarge,

    whamoo wrote:
    Michael McGarry wrote:

    thanks that did the trick!!!

    One problem is my Window created in Qt appears underneath all others on
    the screen and focus never goes completely onto this window. Kind of weird.

    Any ideas?

    You must use pythonw for graphics application =)
    So launch the script with pythonw instead of python ;-)
    Thanks using pythonw did the trick.

    I appreciate everyone's help.
  • Whamoo at Dec 14, 2004 at 7:34 pm

    dMichael McGarry wrote:

    You must use pythonw for graphics application =)
    So launch the script with pythonw instead of python ;-)
    Thanks using pythonw did the trick.

    I appreciate everyone's help.
    ;-) Happy programming with your mac and python

    --
    Whamoo www.rknet.it
    Powerd by: MacOsX, Gnu/Linux Debian Sarge,
    Amiga Os 3.9, Milk.
  • Ronald Oussoren at Dec 15, 2004 at 9:23 am