I need to do some simple image editing (pretty much just scaling) in a
GPLed program. Unfortunatly, both of the Python libraries for image
editing that I found (gdmodule and PIL) are under the GPL-incompatible
original BSD license. Is there another library under a friendlier library?

Search Discussions

  • Leif K-Brooks at Aug 7, 2004 at 10:40 pm

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    Is there another library under a friendlier library?
    Er, that final "library" should read "license". I should get more sleep.
  • Jarek Zgoda at Aug 7, 2004 at 11:11 pm

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    I need to do some simple image editing (pretty much just scaling) in a
    GPLed program. Unfortunatly, both of the Python libraries for image
    editing that I found (gdmodule and PIL) are under the GPL-incompatible
    original BSD license. Is there another library under a friendlier library?
    Use os.system() with convert from ImageMagick package. See man 1 convert
    for explanation of convert use.
  • Fredrik Lundh at Aug 7, 2004 at 11:31 pm

    "Leif K-Brooks" wrote:

    I need to do some simple image editing (pretty much just scaling) in a
    GPLed program. Unfortunatly, both of the Python libraries for image
    editing that I found (gdmodule and PIL) are under the GPL-incompatible
    original BSD license. Is there another library under a friendlier library?
    sorry, but you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking
    about. PIL uses the original Python license, about which FSF
    has the following to say:

    This is a free software license and is compatible
    with the GNU GPL.

    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html

    and before you spread more license FUD, maybe you should
    learn why the *original* BSD license is not considered to be
    GNU-compatible:

    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html

    </F>
  • Istvan Albert at Aug 7, 2004 at 11:52 pm

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    I need to do some simple image editing (pretty much just scaling) in a
    GPLed program. Unfortunatly, both of the Python libraries for image
    editing that I found (gdmodule and PIL) are under the GPL-incompatible
    original BSD license. Is there another library under a friendlier library?
    heh, GPL is a lot less "friendly" than the Python license.

    Here is the python license:

    "The gist of it is that Python is absolutely free, even for commercial
    use (including resale). There is no GNU-like "copyleft" restriction."

    http://www.python.org/doc/Copyright.html

    now what part of this is givin you trouble?

    Istvan.
  • Leif K-Brooks at Aug 7, 2004 at 11:59 pm

    Fredrik Lundh wrote:
    sorry, but you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking
    about. PIL uses the original Python license, about which FSF
    has the following to say: <snip>
    Sorry, you're right. For some reason, I got "the name of Secret Labs AB
    or the author not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to
    distribution of the software without specific, written prior permission"
    with the obnoxious BSD advertising clause. Please disregard anything
    else I say, because I've probably done way too litle research.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedAug 7, '04 at 10:39p
activeAug 7, '04 at 11:59p