I've been down so many dead ends trying to get something working, so
I'm really hoping someone can help out.

I need to access an Oracle database running on a Windows server from
Python running on Linux. I've tried building DCOracle2, but it seems
that the 'oracle-installclient-basic' thing I downloaded from the
Oracle site doesn't contain enough. I've tried various other
approaches, such as mxODBC/iODBC, but without much luck. I'm hoping to
not have to resort to a Windows solution.

Can someone help me figure out what combination of Python module,
Oracle download and/or ODBC driver will work?

Thanks,
Dan.

--
Dan Ellis, Computer Officer
North Lindsey College

Search Discussions

  • Larry Bates at Jul 15, 2004 at 4:00 pm
    You don't want to use ODBC as that is a Windows interface
    that doesn't natively exist on Linux. You can purchase
    Linux ODBC interfaces from companies like EasySoft, but
    if your program is running on Linux you will be much better
    off with a native interface. ODBC overhead is quite large
    and should be avoided whenever possible. You didn't say
    which version of Oracle, but for 7 and 8 you can use

    http://www.zope.org/Products/DCOracle/

    8i and above can be accessed using

    http://www.zope.org/Members/matt/dco2/

    Access to remote Oracle databases is just done via TCP
    connections.

    Note: Our experience is that Oracle runs MUCH better
    on Linux than Windows (as much as 5 times faster on
    equivalent hardware). Are you sure you want the database
    on Windows?

    HTH,
    Larry Bates
    Syscon, Inc.

    "Dan Ellis" <usenet at electricwords.org> wrote in message
    news:bf9b9a98.0407150751.1ffa218b at posting.google.com...
    Hi,

    I've been down so many dead ends trying to get something working, so
    I'm really hoping someone can help out.

    I need to access an Oracle database running on a Windows server from
    Python running on Linux. I've tried building DCOracle2, but it seems
    that the 'oracle-installclient-basic' thing I downloaded from the
    Oracle site doesn't contain enough. I've tried various other
    approaches, such as mxODBC/iODBC, but without much luck. I'm hoping to
    not have to resort to a Windows solution.

    Can someone help me figure out what combination of Python module,
    Oracle download and/or ODBC driver will work?

    Thanks,
    Dan.

    --
    Dan Ellis, Computer Officer
    North Lindsey College
  • M.-A. Lemburg at Jul 16, 2004 at 3:56 pm

    Larry Bates wrote:
    You don't want to use ODBC as that is a Windows interface
    that doesn't natively exist on Linux. You can purchase
    Linux ODBC interfaces from companies like EasySoft, but
    if your program is running on Linux you will be much better
    off with a native interface. ODBC overhead is quite large
    and should be avoided whenever possible.
    I don't quite agree with this statement: it's an old myth
    that was based on poor ODBC drivers. If you connect to a
    database over a network, the network latency is what matters,
    not the additional layering you do on the client or server.

    ODBC gives you much more flexibility in terms of setting up
    your database client - server and backend structure.

    Tools like mxODBC let you tap into this flexibility from
    Windows, Linux, Solaris, AIX, etc. with the additional
    benefit of having to only write against one API for all
    databases and on all platforms.

    --
    Marc-Andre Lemburg
    eGenix.com

    Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, Jul 16 2004)
    Python/Zope Consulting and Support ... http://www.egenix.com/
    mxODBC.Zope.Database.Adapter ... http://zope.egenix.com/
    mxODBC, mxDateTime, mxTextTools ... http://python.egenix.com/

  • Walter Dörwald at Jul 15, 2004 at 4:16 pm

    Dan Ellis wrote:

    Hi,

    [...]

    I need to access an Oracle database running on a Windows server from
    Python running on Linux. I've tried building DCOracle2, but it seems
    that the 'oracle-installclient-basic' thing I downloaded from the
    Oracle site doesn't contain enough. I've tried various other
    approaches, such as mxODBC/iODBC, but without much luck. I'm hoping to
    not have to resort to a Windows solution.

    Can someone help me figure out what combination of Python module,
    Oracle download and/or ODBC driver will work?
    Try cx_Oracle:
    http://www.computronix.com/utilities.shtml#Oracle
    (and of course you need an Oracle client installation on your Linux
    machine)

    HTH,
    Walter D?rwald
  • M.-A. Lemburg at Jul 16, 2004 at 4:10 pm

    Dan Ellis wrote:
    Hi,

    I've been down so many dead ends trying to get something working, so
    I'm really hoping someone can help out.

    I need to access an Oracle database running on a Windows server from
    Python running on Linux. I've tried building DCOracle2, but it seems
    that the 'oracle-installclient-basic' thing I downloaded from the
    Oracle site doesn't contain enough. I've tried various other
    approaches, such as mxODBC/iODBC, but without much luck. I'm hoping to
    not have to resort to a Windows solution.

    Can someone help me figure out what combination of Python module,
    Oracle download and/or ODBC driver will work?
    The EasySoft Oracle drivers works nicely with mxODBC/unixODBC.
    Other vendors of ODBC drivers for Oracle are: DataDirect,
    OpenLink and a few others:

    http://www.sqlsummit.com/ODBCVend.htm

    There's also an open-soruce Oracle ODBC driver:

    http://fndapl.fnal.gov/~dbox/oracle/odbc/

    Naturally, the EasySoft driver works best with unixODBC and
    the OpenLink one with iODBC (simply because those two companies
    took over development of these ODBC managers).

    --
    Marc-Andre Lemburg
    eGenix.com

    Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, Jul 16 2004)
    Python/Zope Consulting and Support ... http://www.egenix.com/
    mxODBC.Zope.Database.Adapter ... http://zope.egenix.com/
    mxODBC, mxDateTime, mxTextTools ... http://python.egenix.com/

  • Dan Ellis at Jul 19, 2004 at 12:02 pm
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I finally managed to get cx_Oracle
    built against Oracle 9i, and it's now working sweeter than a sweet
    thing with extra sugar on.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedJul 15, '04 at 3:51p