On two different Windows 98SE Systems, I have attempted to upgrade working
Python 2.3.3 and win32all installations to Python 2.3.4. After what
appeared to be successful installations of Python-2.3.4.exe, I next
executed:
pywin32-201.win32-py2.3.exe
as downloaded from SourceForge, in the belief that it was the appropriate
companion for Python-2.3.4 (perhaps this is my mistake?). In both cases,
the installed Pythonwin outputs the following error messages and does NOT
run:
File
"C:\PYTHON23\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\pywin\framework\intpyapp.py", line
163, in InitInstance
import interact
File
"C:\PYTHON23\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\pywin\framework\interact.py", line
26, in ?
import winout
File
"C:\PYTHON23\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\pywin\framework\winout.py",
line 26, in ?
from pywintypes import UnicodeType
File "C:\PYTHON23\Lib\site-packages\win32\lib\pywintypes.py", line 69, in
?
__import_pywin32_system_module__("pywintypes", globals())
File "C:\PYTHON23\Lib\site-packages\win32\lib\pywintypes.py", line 62, in
__import_pywin32_system_module__
raise ImportError, "Can not locate " + filename
exceptions.ImportError: Can not locate pywintypes23.dll
On checking, the NEW 'pywintypes23.dll' IS in c:\windows\system
77824 May 28 11:10 c:\windows\system\pywintypes23.dll
If this file is copied to C:\Windows then Pythonwin starts without the error
messages and appears to work.

In previous Windows 98SE installations, the pythonwin dlls have worked OK
from
c:\windows\system where they are installed so I don't understand what's
happening here?

(Note: I've installed Python-2.3.4.exe and pywin32-201.win32-py2.3.exe on a
Windows XP sytem without this problem.)

  • Peter Hansen at May 30, 2004 at 1:23 am

    Bob Chapman wrote:

    On two different Windows 98SE Systems, I have attempted to upgrade working
    [...]
    __import_pywin32_system_module__
    raise ImportError, "Can not locate " + filename
    exceptions.ImportError: Can not locate pywintypes23.dll
    On checking, the NEW 'pywintypes23.dll' IS in c:\windows\system
    77824 May 28 11:10 c:\windows\system\pywintypes23.dll
    If this file is copied to C:\Windows then Pythonwin starts without the error
    messages and appears to work.
    What happens if you run Python from the command line and type
    "import pywintypes"? In other words, is this a problem with
    the Python installation or a problem with the pywin32 installation?
    You should learn the answer as a result...

    -Peter
  • Bob Chapman at May 30, 2004 at 5:14 am
    On two different Windows 98SE Systems, I have attempted to upgrade
    working
    [...]
    __import_pywin32_system_module__
    raise ImportError, "Can not locate " + filename
    exceptions.ImportError: Can not locate pywintypes23.dll
    On checking, the NEW 'pywintypes23.dll' IS in c:\windows\system
    77824 May 28 11:10 c:\windows\system\pywintypes23.dll
    If this file is copied to C:\Windows then Pythonwin starts without the
    error
    messages and appears to work.
    What happens if you run Python from the command line and type
    "import pywintypes"? In other words, is this a problem with
    the Python installation or a problem with the pywin32 installation?
    You should learn the answer as a result...

    -Peter
    Thanks for the suggestion. Will try tomorrow when I have access to one of
    the two systems.

    --
  • Roger Upole at May 30, 2004 at 2:11 am
    One workaround is to copy pywintypes23.dll to your \windows directory.

    Roger

    "Bob Chapman" <rechapman at hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:c9aper$6os$1 at ngspool-d02.news.aol.com...
[...]

  • Bob Chapman at May 30, 2004 at 5:12 am

[...]

    "Roger Upole" <rupole at hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:40b93ee2_5 at 127.0.0.1...
    One workaround is to copy pywintypes23.dll to your \windows directory.
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?funcÞtail&aid‘7702&group_idx0
    18&atidU1954
    Roger
    That's what I did but I was curious why this is required. Up to, at least,
    Build 163, win32all was able to start under Windows 98SE with
    pywintypes23.dll located in c:\windows\system (where it is installed). And,
    as previously mentioned, this work around is not required under Windows
    XP -- go figure.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedMay 29, '04 at 7:47p