I got a problem with Python IDLE to run Tkinter application. I use
thread to start a Tkinter application. It works fine on Linux when I
invoke the program from command line. But when I try to use IDLE, the
GUI doesn't show up until I close the IDLE edit window and the Python
shell window. Does anybody have any idea?

- huwind

Search Discussions

  • Cy Edmunds at Apr 29, 2004 at 3:10 am
    I got a problem with Python IDLE to run Tkinter application. I use
    thread to start a Tkinter application. It works fine on Linux when I
    invoke the program from command line. But when I try to use IDLE, the
    GUI doesn't show up until I close the IDLE edit window and the Python
    shell window. Does anybody have any idea?

    - huwind
    Have a look at:

    http://www.ferg.org/thinking_in_tkinter/index.html

    Evidently IDLE is itself a TKinter program.
  • Steve Holden at Apr 29, 2004 at 9:29 am

    huwind wrote:

    Hi,

    I got a problem with Python IDLE to run Tkinter application. I use
    thread to start a Tkinter application. It works fine on Linux when I
    invoke the program from command line. But when I try to use IDLE, the
    GUI doesn't show up until I close the IDLE edit window and the Python
    shell window. Does anybody have any idea?
    IDLE is itself a Tkinter application, so you are probably experiencing
    conflict between the main loop of the two applications. It's a bit like
    getting into your car to drive from the front seat of your car to the
    back seat ...

    This is confirmed by the fact that the program runs fine independently.

    regards
    STeve

grouppython-list @
categoriespython