Is there multi-media support in Python? So I can...

1 - play video in all the standard formats... windows & Mac?
2 - play flash files
3 - Power Point
4 - Standard graphic formats
5 - Sound in all the standard formats
6 - etc

Please note requirements: And, on video's, flash files, Power Point, Graphic
files, I need to have those show within my programs "window" along with some
other text... so I need to be able to size the video and locate it in the
window... so if the program simply pop's up the Windows Media Player or
QuickTime or whatever as a separate window... no good... it all needs to be
integrated into a single window along with text and other stuff...

If so, is it in the standard release or has someone created a module just
for multi-media integration?

Thanks for any help - Will

Search Discussions

  • DH at Feb 16, 2004 at 5:57 pm

    Will wrote:

[...]

    Not really. Not like the java media framework or QT4Java.
    Someone is working on video playing in python that works on Windows or
    Macs but it's still being developed:
    http://www2.wcer.wisc.edu/Transana/Develop

    Also, in wxPython on Windows only, you can embed Internet Explorer or
    other ActiveX objects including the Media Player & Powerpoint I assume.
    Run the demo for an example: http://www.wxpython.org/
    I guess the easiest thing to do would just be to embed Internet Explorer
    and have it load a page that plays the movie or flash file.

    Even easier though would just be to make your application a web
    application and let the browser be the whole interface.
  • Thomas Heller at Feb 16, 2004 at 8:28 pm

    "Will" <wstandley at netpv.com> writes:

    Is there multi-media support in Python? So I can...

    1 - play video in all the standard formats... windows & Mac?
    2 - play flash files
    3 - Power Point
    4 - Standard graphic formats
    5 - Sound in all the standard formats
    6 - etc

    Please note requirements: And, on video's, flash files, Power Point, Graphic
    files, I need to have those show within my programs "window" along with some
    other text... so I need to be able to size the video and locate it in the
    window... so if the program simply pop's up the Windows Media Player or
    QuickTime or whatever as a separate window... no good... it all needs to be
    integrated into a single window along with text and other stuff...

    If so, is it in the standard release or has someone created a module just
    for multi-media integration?
    Well, maybe pygame contains something like this.

    OTOH, there's Henk Punt's venster library, which is based on the ctypes
    module. (If you use windows you may want to look into ctypes anyway - it
    allows to make windows api calls even when they are not wrapped by Mark
    Hammond's win32all extensions.)

    venster contains samples which embed the internet explorer webbrowser
    control in a window, it can has a sample which plays flash files in a
    window, and it shows how to embed the windows media player.

    You can probably to something similar using the pythonwin application
    framework in win32all (oh, wait, the official name is now pywin32) which
    is based on a python wrapping of the mfc.

    Thomas
  • Will at Feb 17, 2004 at 2:16 pm
    Thomas,

    I'll check out your & DH's suggestions. I was hoping for a clean easy to do
    this.

    DH mentioned that someone was working on this... any idea who?

    Doing it on the net is not an option we want to consider now for a varity of
    reasons.

    Thanks for the help - I will check out your suggestions.

    Will

    "Thomas Heller" <theller at python.net> wrote in message
    news:lln2lqf7.fsf at python.net...
[...]

  • Paul Prescod at Feb 18, 2004 at 1:14 am

    Will wrote:

    Is there multi-media support in Python? So I can...

    1 - play video in all the standard formats... windows & Mac?
    2 - play flash files
    3 - Power Point
    4 - Standard graphic formats
    5 - Sound in all the standard formats
    6 - etc
    Python is a programming language. All it does is computations. Python
    can be embedded into environments that can do more than computations.
    e.g. you can embed it into a Windows MFC window or a Pygame application
    or a Macintosh Carbon application. In each environment you will get a
    different mix of features.

    If you tell us your operating system we can tell you what environment
    you might want to embed Python in with all of these capabilities. Python
    itself has a lot less to do with it than the GUI you are using Python
    within.

    Paul Prescod
  • DH at Feb 18, 2004 at 3:04 am

    Paul Prescod wrote:

    Will wrote:
    Is there multi-media support in Python? So I can...

    1 - play video in all the standard formats... windows & Mac?
    2 - play flash files
    3 - Power Point
    4 - Standard graphic formats
    5 - Sound in all the standard formats
    6 - etc

    Python is a programming language. All it does is computations. Python
    can be embedded into environments that can do more than computations.
    e.g. you can embed it into a Windows MFC window or a Pygame application
    or a Macintosh Carbon application. In each environment you will get a
    different mix of features.

    If you tell us your operating system we can tell you what environment
    you might want to embed Python in with all of these capabilities. Python
    itself has a lot less to do with it than the GUI you are using Python
    within.
    He already did. See the excerpt you quoted.
  • Simon Wittber at Feb 18, 2004 at 3:18 am
    If so, is it in the standard release or has someone created a module
    just for multi-media integration?

    Check out http://www.pygame.org/
  • Will at Feb 18, 2004 at 5:13 pm
    Paul,

    Thanks for the note.

    One of the reasons we were interested in Python is that, we thought, capible
    of creating software that will run on Mac, Windows or Linux systems.

    I understand that Python itself is the basic language and that there are
    add-ons for other stuff... like win32all, wxPython, Py2exe, NumArray,
    PythonCard, etc...

    I was just hoping that someone had created some code to interface directly
    with the various media players out there like Quicktime and Windows Media
    Player... and that we could use that to call up a player in the corner of a
    window... Sorta like you can with Macromedia's Authorware or Matchware's
    Mediator 7... and probably Macromedia's Director and other such progframs.

    So, the answer to what system is all the popular systems.

    I'll keep poking around.

    Best,

    Will

    "Paul Prescod" <paul at prescod.net> wrote in message
    news:mailman.94.1077067234.31398.python-list at python.org...
[...]

  • Josiah Carlson at Feb 19, 2004 at 12:42 am

    One of the reasons we were interested in Python is that, we thought, capible
    of creating software that will run on Mac, Windows or Linux systems.

    I understand that Python itself is the basic language and that there are
    add-ons for other stuff... like win32all, wxPython, Py2exe, NumArray,
    PythonCard, etc...
    You will find that Python will interface with quite a few Windows
    components with win32all (now pywin32 I believe), of course there is
    already os.startfile() for simple "open this file with the appropriate
    viewer" applications.

    Depending on the 'multimedia' you want to deal with, wxPython is capable
    of embedding various objects into itself. On Windows it seems to be
    fairly trivial to embed Internet Explorer in a wxPython window, which
    could be used with the standard IE plugins to view media.

    On other platforms, perhaps wxMozilla
    (http://wxmozilla.sourceforge.net/) would satisfy a large portion of
    your requirements. It may take some work to get it working with
    wxPython, but it also may be a quick SWIG run. As it stands, wxMozilla
    runs on all major platforms, so may be your best bet for images and
    multimedia with browser plugins.

    - Josiah

grouppython-list @
categoriespython