From http Sun Feb 1 07:24:43 2004
From: http (Paul Rubin)
Date: 31 Jan 2004 22:24:43 -0800
Subject: Firedrop, New Docs, easy to use python blog software...

rstephens at vectron.com (Ron Stephens) writes:
OK, I know there is a lot of blog software out there written in
Python, but after a little more than one month of using it, I think
Firedrop can compete on ease of use, ease of learning, and intuitive,
fun use.
Why on earth does this need wxPython? Why can't it just use a web
front end?

Search Discussions

  • Ron Stephens at Feb 1, 2004 at 9:34 pm

    Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx at NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message news:

    Why on earth does this need wxPython? Why can't it just use a web
    front end?
    Hmm, um, well, yes, now that you mention it, I guess it could just use
    a web browser as a front end. After all, content produced by Firedrop
    is meant to be viewed on the web after all, and if a web browser were
    the front end (instead of wxPython) then one could use any device with
    a browser (such as my Zaurus PDA, which runs Opera) to produce blog
    posts or other content.

    So you got me thinking about it, and at the risk of further displaying
    my ignorance, I came up with three possible advantages to using
    wxPython:

    1. Perhaps wxPython offers a bigger set of widgets to work with than
    is available using just a browser with html, allowing a better user
    experience, during the content creation and management activity (as
    opposed to when the content is being viewed on the web). Actually, it
    is theoretically possible that one could use the ArticleCollection
    aspect of Firedrop for content that is not meant to be viewed on the
    web, so that the content might need graphical capabilities beyond
    those in web browsers; but I don't think this a major factor.

    2. Using wxPython, along with wax, may be just plain easier (and more
    enjoyable ) to program with. One of the main goals of the firedrop
    project, as I understand it, is to be easy and fun to extend using
    Python, wxPython, and wax. Perhaps this combination gives a more
    Pythonic overall programming experience than using only Python and a
    web browser front end.

    3. As a learning exercise, if one wants to improve one's ability to
    program in wxPython, extending and adding features to Firedrop may be
    worth while beyond its sheer utilitarian value, for which a web
    browser front end might be in some ways preferable.

    I stand ready to be corrected on any or all of the above speculations.
    I am a clueless newbie after all, but your post did prompt me to
    think, so I offer my response.

    Maybe Hans will weigh in on this subject...

    Also, I think Hans has an article on Firedrop (and Kaa, an earlier,
    similar project of his using Tkinter instead of wxPython) in an
    upcoming issue of Pyzine.

    Ron Stephens

grouppython-list @
categoriespython