Who can explain me what is the advantage of ActivePython over (1)
standard Python 2.3.2 instalation (from www.python.org)
plus (2) the latest win32? (I am using win32 box, of course).
In past I was using Active Python. I dropped it because of I needed
tha last Python version and ActivePython was for a long time compiled
for Python 2.2 only. I found the same features of both solutions, so I
can see no reason to back to ActivePython.

--
JZ IQ:6712522

Search Discussions

  • John J. Lee at Nov 2, 2003 at 10:59 pm

    JZ <jroznfgre at jngpugbjreQBGbet.cy> writes:

    Who can explain me what is the advantage of ActivePython over (1)
    standard Python 2.3.2 instalation (from www.python.org)
    plus (2) the latest win32? (I am using win32 box, of course).
    [...]

    Convenience (win32all as standard, package system for modules not part
    of the base ActivePython distribution), and integration testing of the
    packages they provide, I imagine. No big deal IMHO, but maybe
    somebody knows better.

    John
  • Jussi Jumppanen at Nov 3, 2003 at 12:05 am

    Andrei wrote:

    Docs are better. CHM file including a Dive into Python, the FAQ,
    PEPs, the complete python docs and then some more in a format
    which is easy on the eyes.
    FWIW using this tool:

    http://www.confluent.fr/javadoc/htmltohlpe.html

    will make it very easy to convert html documents to the Windows help
    file format. IMHO definitely worth a look for Win32 developers.

    Jussi Jumppanen
    Author of: Zeus for Windows (All new version 3.90 out now)
    "The C/C++, Cobol, Java, HTML, Python, PHP, Perl programmer's editor"
    Home Page: http://www.zeusedit.com
  • Andrei at Nov 3, 2003 at 12:55 am

    JZ <jroznfgre at jngpugbjreQBGbet.cy> writes:
    Who can explain me what is the advantage of ActivePython over (1)
    standard Python 2.3.2 instalation (from www.python.org)
    plus (2) the latest win32? (I am using win32 box, of course).
    [...]

    Convenience (win32all as standard, package system for modules not part
    of the base ActivePython distribution), and integration testing of the
    packages they provide, I imagine. No big deal IMHO, but maybe
    somebody knows better.
    Docs are better. CHM file including a Dive into Python, the FAQ, PEPs, the
    complete python docs and then some more in a format which is easy on the
    eyes.

    --
    Yours,

    Andrei

    =====
    Mail address in header catches spam. Real contact info (decode with rot13):
    cebwrpg5 at bcrenznvy.pbz. Fcnz-serr! Cyrnfr qb abg hfr va choyvp cbfgf. V
    ernq gur yvfg, fb gurer'f ab arrq gb PP.
  • James Kew at Nov 3, 2003 at 10:51 pm
    JZ <jroznfgre at jngpugbjreQBGbet.cy> writes:
    Who can explain me what is the advantage of ActivePython over (1)
    standard Python 2.3.2 instalation (from www.python.org)
    plus (2) the latest win32? (I am using win32 box, of course).
    [...]

    Convenience (win32all as standard, package system for modules not part
    of the base ActivePython distribution)
    ActivePython 2.3.2 seems to have quietly dropped any mention of the PPM
    package system. Is it no longer supported?

    The single install and the integrated documentation -- one single searchable
    .chm -- are the advantages for me.

    James
  • Colin J. Williams at Nov 4, 2003 at 2:32 pm

    James Kew wrote:
    "John J. Lee" <jjl at pobox.com> wrote in message
    news:87ekwq74y0.fsf at pobox.com...
    JZ <jroznfgre at jngpugbjreQBGbet.cy> writes:

    Who can explain me what is the advantage of ActivePython over (1)
    standard Python 2.3.2 instalation (from www.python.org)
    plus (2) the latest win32? (I am using win32 box, of course).
    [...]

    Convenience (win32all as standard, package system for modules not part
    of the base ActivePython distribution)

    ActivePython 2.3.2 seems to have quietly dropped any mention of the PPM
    package system. Is it no longer supported?

    The single install and the integrated documentation -- one single searchable
    ..chm -- are the advantages for me.
    I think you will find that the current win32all provides this. Although
    it doesn't yet provide any linkage to packages eg. numarray or pychecker.

    Colin W.
  • Trent Mick at Nov 4, 2003 at 5:19 pm
    [James Kew wrote]
    ActivePython 2.3.2 seems to have quietly dropped any mention of the PPM
    package system. Is it no longer supported?
    This change was mention on the ActivePython-specific mailing list:
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/ActivePython/1872769

    Any feedback to ActivePython-feedback at ActiveState.com would be
    appreciated.

    Trent

    --
    Trent Mick
    TrentM at ActiveState.com
    ActivePython 2.3.2 seems to have quietly dropped any mention of the PPM
    package system. Is it no longer supported?
    This change was mention on the ActivePython-specific mailing list:
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/ActivePython/1872769
    <...snip...>
    Trent Mick
    Thank you, this is a message with valuable information, worthwile to be
    published in comp.python.announce

    I have sympathy for your reasoning, hopefully the feedback of the Python
    community at large can help even more.

    kind regards, Gerrit
    --
    www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/