--
JZ

Search Discussions

  • Luca Calderano at Sep 15, 2003 at 10:55 am
    The Only way is using Com

    S.G.A S.p.A.
    Nucleo Sistemi Informativi
    Luca Calderano

    -----Messaggio originale-----
    Da: python-list-admin at python.org
    [mailto:python-list-admin at python.org]Per conto di JZ
    Inviato: lunedi 15 settembre 2003 12.49
    A: python-list at python.org
    Oggetto: caching the sql queries

    Is there any equivalent of caching sql queries for Python like ADOdb
    for PHP? (For those who did not hear about ADODb and its feature :
    http://phplens.com/adodb/caching.of.recordsets.html)
  • JZ at Sep 15, 2003 at 11:13 am

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:55:15 +0200, "Luca Calderano" wrote:
    Is there any equivalent of caching sql queries for Python like ADOdb
    for PHP? (For those who did not hear about ADODb and its feature :
    http://phplens.com/adodb/caching.of.recordsets.html)
    The Only way is using Com
    What do you mean?

    --
    JZ
  • Gerhard Häring at Sep 15, 2003 at 11:32 am

    "JZ" wrote:
    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:55:15 +0200, "Luca Calderano"
    Is there any equivalent of caching sql queries for Python like ADOdb
    for PHP? (For those who did not hear about ADODb and its feature :
    http://phplens.com/adodb/caching.of.recordsets.html)
    The Only way is using Com
    What do you mean?
    Luca was mistaking the ADODB from Microsoft's ActiveX Data Objects (ADO)
    with the PHP API of the same name.

    -- Gerhard
  • Gerhard Häring at Sep 15, 2003 at 11:34 am

    JZ wrote:
    Is there any equivalent of caching sql queries for Python like ADOdb
    for PHP? (For those who did not hear about ADODb and its feature :
    http://phplens.com/adodb/caching.of.recordsets.html)
    I'm not aware of any such thing for Python, and I find it dubious, too.

    In my opinion, this sort of caching should really be done in the
    application layer, not in the database access layer.

    -- Gerhard
  • Syver Enstad at Sep 15, 2003 at 12:13 pm

    Gerhard H?ring <gh at ghaering.de> writes:

    In my opinion, this sort of caching should really be done in the
    application layer, not in the database access layer.
    I didn't know that PHP programmers used layers at all :-)

    On a more serious note, Why do you think caching should be
    implemented in the application layer (is this the same as the
    domain/business layer) rather than the database access layer?
  • Gerhard Häring at Sep 15, 2003 at 1:02 pm

    Syver Enstad wrote:
    Gerhard H?ring <gh at ghaering.de> writes:
    In my opinion, this sort of caching should really be done in the
    application layer, not in the database access layer.
    I didn't know that PHP programmers used layers at all :-)

    On a more serious note, Why do you think caching should be
    implemented in the application layer (is this the same as the
    domain/business layer) rather than the database access layer?
    Yes, a dozen different terms for the same thing ;)

    It's mostly gut feeling about what's the right approach, which has
    served me well quite often :-)

    If I needed to state reasons, I'd say that the business layer can assure
    data consistency, while with this simplistic approach, the database
    layer (*) cannot.

    -- Gerhard

    (*) "database access layer" may sound like something important, but in
    my projects, it's only a thin layer on top of DB-API/ADO.NET/... that
    provides shortcuts for the most common use cases and allows switching
    database backends more easily.
  • JZ at Sep 15, 2003 at 1:07 pm

    In my opinion, this sort of caching should really be done in the
    application layer, not in the database access layer.
    Why not? It caches only db recordsets an it is total independend from
    other form or cache.

    --
    JZ

grouppython-list @