sismex01 at hebmex.com wrote:
I think like you Aahz, that people's dumping way to harsh-like
on Brandon. And it's strange to me, because normally people's
much more polite here than elsewhere; I wonder what's squishing
everyone's balls so tight to make them so.
Well, I'll freely own up to being rude and intellectually violent. I don't
feel like being "PC" about certain basic questions, I'm a pragmatic
programmer and I call a spade a spade. But that doesn't make me a troll.
It's annoying when people can't/won't tell the difference. The sheer volume
of questions I've asked about Python should indicate to any impartial
observer that I actually do care about the answers. And if that isn't
sufficiently convincing, you might try checking the marketing-python
archives.

--
Cheers, www.3DProgrammer.com
Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

20% of the world is real.

  • Aahz at Aug 18, 2003 at 11:49 pm
    In article <bhrk91$2d28f$1 at ID-203719.news.uni-berlin.de>,
    Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
    Well, I'll freely own up to being rude and intellectually violent.
    I don't feel like being "PC" about certain basic questions, I'm a
    pragmatic programmer and I call a spade a spade. But that doesn't make
    me a troll. It's annoying when people can't/won't tell the difference.
    The sheer volume of questions I've asked about Python should indicate
    to any impartial observer that I actually do care about the answers.
    And if that isn't sufficiently convincing, you might try checking the
    marketing-python archives.
    Speaking as someone with a well-deserved reputation for abrasiveness
    (nothing approaching yours, but established over more than a decade
    on-line), when someone as obviously intelligent as you persists in
    writing in ways that piss people off, the only likely answers for "why?"
    are "troll" or "insane".

    Since "troll" implies volition, it's actually less pejorative than the
    alternative. One definition of insanity: performing the same action
    over and over again, expecting a different result each time.

    You're the one who has to decide, in the end, how much effort you're
    willing to put into maintaining the social contract versus continuing to
    get ostracized. I've made my decision to alienate a fair number of
    people, but I also got on well enough with others.

    I actually used to be more abrasive and annoying, but some people were
    kind enough to whack me with a clue-by-four. Here's your free clue as
    part of my pay-forward; I don't have the energy to give you more.

    with useful practice. --Aahz
  • Brandon J. Van Every at Aug 19, 2003 at 5:51 am

    Aahz wrote:
    Speaking as someone with a well-deserved reputation for abrasiveness
    (nothing approaching yours, but established over more than a decade
    on-line), when someone as obviously intelligent as you persists in
    writing in ways that piss people off, the only likely answers for
    "why?" are "troll" or "insane".
    Frankly, your list of alternatives is insufficient. It's never a good
    policy to examine someone else's motives by saying, "If they don't fit into
    this neat box of mine, they're insane." Nor do statistics have any
    relevancy, i.e. "likely answers."

    I'm not going to try to explain things to you unless you can do better.
    Meanwhile, I'd suggest looking up a Meyers-Briggs test. FWIW I am an INTP.
    Suggest you zero in on the "T," if you really are interested in explanations
    rather than confirming your "insanity" world view.
    Since "troll" implies volition, it's actually less pejorative than the
    alternative. One definition of insanity: performing the same action
    over and over again, expecting a different result each time.
    That definition didn't show relevance the last time either. Frankly, your
    definition sucks rocks. Get a better one. It fails to explain all sorts of
    insanities, although it might be ok for schizophrenia. It also overlaps
    with all sorts of phenoms that vary, but aren't insanity.

    --
    Cheers, www.3DProgrammer.com
    Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

    20% of the world is real.
  • G. Feldman at Aug 19, 2003 at 12:49 am