Has anyone encountered a problem with Tkinter apps not shutting down
properly in Wi98? I find that they (forex the hello example on pg 309 of
Learning Python, and some actually useful ones I have written) tend not to
terminate properly, but leave the Python window up and hard to close
(sometimes 3f salute/end task will shut it down, sometimes not).

This happens with a clean install of Win98, and both P22 and Py23b1.
Doesn't matter whether the script is run from a command window or by
clicking on the file name in the explorer.

thanks
Avery Andrews

Search Discussions

  • Martin v. Löwis at Apr 29, 2003 at 11:36 am

    Has anyone encountered a problem with Tkinter apps not shutting down
    properly in Wi98?
    That is the oldes Python-Bug, see www.python.org/sf/216289
    Nobody has been able so far to study in detail what is causing the problem
    and how it could be fixed.

    Most likely, the bug will be fixed the day Python stops supporting W9x.

    Regards,
    Martin
  • Eltronic at Apr 29, 2003 at 1:50 pm

    Has anyone encountered a problem with Tkinter apps
    shutting down properly in Wi98?
    use pythonw.exe yourTk.py
    or python.exe -i yourTk.py
    or ren someTk.py someTk.pyw which opens with pythonw

    ive changed my double click open of py files to an editor
    too avoid the problem. you can also add
    python.exe -i %1 %* somewhere in the registry
    to always open py file in the interactive mode.

    if you python -i some.py from a dos window
    when the program finishes your left with a prompt

    if you ^Z control+Z to exit python you also exit the
    dos window. that seems too harsh.
    the pdb debugger is much better, it accepts a q to quit.

    That is the oldes Python-Bug, see www.python.org/sf/216289
    Nobody has been able so far to study in detail what is causing
    the problem and how it could be fixed.
    is it still a problem in python2.3 with Tk8.4, anyone?

    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
  • Tim Peters at Apr 29, 2003 at 3:43 pm
    {MvL]
    That is the oldes Python-Bug, see www.python.org/sf/216289
    Nobody has been able so far to study in detail what is causing
    the problem and how it could be fixed.
    [eltronic at juno.com]
    is it still a problem in python2.3 with Tk8.4, anyone?
    It is in 2.3b1. I haven't had time to try another Tcl/Tk release since the
    last entry in the bug report, and-- alas --don't know whether I'll be able
    to make time for it before 2.3 final. As the bug report says, though, use
    pythonw.exe instead of python.exe, and there's no problem.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedApr 29, '03 at 9:42a
activeApr 29, '03 at 3:43p